INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIPing Questions  (Read 1785 times)

HiRez_Lover

• Recent member
RIPing Questions
« on: November 04, 2014, 07:43:10 am »

Hi All,

New to the site and have some basic questions that I didn't see specifically answers (although I know it must have been over the course of time).

Whenever I RIP a CD (either .FLAC or .APE) I get all tracks in one file with the associated .cue file. 
After reading the JRiver RIP primer it seems that a person would want this so there are no gaps in track playback.
I'm not sure why this is an issue (separate downloaded tracks play fine), but if I was to keep this file structure, is there any preference .ape
or .flac as far as audio quality?

The primer does mention the use of the "separate tracks" option.  I selected that and it created 12 tracks with a .cda extension.
Is that what I should be getting? Again as far a sound quality, is there any difference with any given lossless file extension?

Lastly, I read in a review of the Benchmark DAC2 that a "best practice" for keep the computer's audio (Dell Insiron 3000 2-in-1) out of the audio chain
is to move the JRiver volume slider to 100%. If that makes a difference, why? Are there any other tricks?

TIA,
Jay

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: RIPing Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 01:28:33 pm »

All lossless files will sound identical!

.flac is much better supported by modern audio gear and has robust tagging support, personally I would stick with .flac but it's not a sound quality issue, .ape is lossless also so it's a preference

a .cda file is a small header file that sorts the .wav tracks on a cd, they aren't even real files on the cd, they are created by your hardware/software to be able to play the cd on a per track basis (did you rip to .wav?)

When I rip a CD I get individual tracks...I would personally never rip to a single FLAC/cue....in many software / hardware it may not be an issue but some devices/software will possibly not respect the .cue and you'll be stuck with one giant track.  But many people do rip to a single flac/mka with a good .cue, nothing wrong with it its probably a preference thing.

Read the wiki about the volume slider, it tells which is the best way and offers some explanation why

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 01:40:06 pm »

Hi All,

New to the site and have some basic questions that I didn't see specifically answers (although I know it must have been over the course of time).

Whenever I RIP a CD (either .FLAC or .APE) I get all tracks in one file with the associated .cue file. 
After reading the JRiver RIP primer it seems that a person would want this so there are no gaps in track playback.
I'm not sure why this is an issue (separate downloaded tracks play fine), but if I was to keep this file structure, is there any preference .ape
or .flac as far as audio quality?

The primer does mention the use of the "separate tracks" option.  I selected that and it created 12 tracks with a .cda extension.
Is that what I should be getting? Again as far a sound quality, is there any difference with any given lossless file extension?

Lastly, I read in a review of the Benchmark DAC2 that a "best practice" for keep the computer's audio (Dell Insiron 3000 2-in-1) out of the audio chain
is to move the JRiver volume slider to 100%. If that makes a difference, why? Are there any other tricks?

TIA,
Jay

one file per track is mainstream; 1 track per cd and cue file is not.  for gapless playback, chreck "use gapless..." in the tools/options/audio dialog window.  don't check "do not play silence".

(windows advice) in that same window, you can choose an output method.  if your dac comes with an asio driver, choose that method.  if not, choose WASAPI (not available under win xp.). 

HiRez_Lover

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 03:09:57 pm »

Wow - every question/answer spawns new questions.  Don't get me wrong I really appreciate that
there is a community willing to help.  But this sure gets complicated.

So, based on the replies so far. I agree, I would like to rip in .FLAC format w/ individual tracks.
Can you simply (if it is simple) tell me what settings I should use? As I said originally I asked for
individual tracks but what I got was .CDA files.

As far as output. I have a SimAudio Moon 300D v2. Oddly enough in JRiver I get both driver choices
(ASIO and WASAPI) I contacted SimAudio about this and they told me they weren't sure which one I
should pick (odd?)   I am currently set at ASIO and the DAC sounds great. I didn't try it set as WASAPI.

Sorry If I miss understood your reply, but is the rip result going to change based on the driver setting?
In general, is one driver better than the other?

Thanks for your help,
Jay

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 03:40:15 pm »

In   Rip Disc>Options>CD,DVD,BD>File Management  make sure "rip to a single file with cue..." is unchecked
make sure that under CD Ripping all the drive names have copy mode:secure

then RIP Disc>Options>Encoding, choose your Encoder (i.e. FLAC, APE, whatever)

this is my setup and it rips to single FLAC files and auto creates a log file (secure rip).  i don't generally make .cue files unless i want them for some reason

there is NO difference between ASIO and WASAPI as far as sound quality, they are both bit-perfect streams.  sometimes one will work better than the other with your external equipment (DAC) but that isn't something i can answer

in general, WASAPI will be easier to use but if you have it working good with ASIO, there is no reason to change over.  The driver setting will not affect Rip settings

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 03:44:27 pm »

i have one arm in a sling and the other doesn't work well. i'll be brief and that's it.

Wow - every question/answer spawns new questions.  Don't get me wrong I really appreciate that
there is a community willing to help.  But this sure gets complicated.

So, based on the replies so far. I agree, I would like to rip in .FLAC format w/ individual tracks.
Can you simply (if it is simple) tell me what settings I should use?

screenshots attached.

As I said originally I asked for individual tracks but what I got was .CDA files.

MC describes the contents of an audio CD as cda file type.  after you rip a CD, yor get real files of flac, ape or some other type.

As far as output. I have a SimAudio Moon 300D v2. Oddly enough in JRiver I get both driver choices
(ASIO and WASAPI)

read what i said. i didn't say that there would only be one choice.

I contacted SimAudio about this and they told me they weren't sure which one I
should pick (odd?)   I am currently set at ASIO and the DAC sounds great. I didn't try it set as WASAPI.

you could try each one. i gave you standard jriver advice.

Sorry If I miss understood your reply, but is the rip result going to change based on the driver setting?
In general, is one driver better than the other?

it is not related to ripping.  you asked about output too.

where to place the ripped files

HiRez_Lover

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 04:28:15 pm »

Thank you for taking the time (and extra effort) to answer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up