INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Access key. Am I not understanding this? Resolved  (Read 1939 times)

jctcom

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
Access key. Am I not understanding this? Resolved
« on: October 24, 2014, 09:44:39 pm »

I had shared my JRiver Library with a couple of people who are no longer using it and I wanted to make sure that no one could be using it without me knowing about it.  So I Changed the "Media Access Key" thinking this would stop anyone who did not have the new key from connecting whether it be via local network or internet.

After changing the access key both my notebook and my iPhone still connect without requesting the new Access key.

So I turned off "Use Media Network to share This Library and Enable DLNA".  That stopped the access.

But when I turned it back on again and it displayed the new Access Key the notebook and iPHone were again able to access it without asking for the new key.

What am I doing wrong?  I want to change the system so that only new access can be gained if I am using the new access key.  Is this not the way it is supposed to work?  

Carl.

bob

• Administrator
Re: Access key. Am I not understanding this?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 11:24:55 pm »

I had shared my JRiver Library with a couple of people who are no longer using it and I wanted to make sure that no one could be using it without me knowing about it.  So I Changed the "Media Access Key" thinking this would stop anyone who did not have the new key from connecting whether it be via local network or internet.

After changing the access key both my notebook and my iPhone still connect without requesting the new Access key.

So I turned off "Use Media Network to share This Library and Enable DLNA".  That stopped the access.

But when I turned it back on again and it displayed the new Access Key the notebook and iPHone were again able to access it without asking for the new key.

What am I doing wrong?  I want to change the system so that only new access can be gained if I am using the new access key.  Is this not the way it is supposed to work? 

Carl.
The Media Access Key is a way to find the library from your lan or remotely. It's not a security key. If you want security, turn on authentication in MC.

jctcom

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 11:29:49 pm »

The Media Access Key is a way to find the library from your lan or remotely. It's not a security key. If you want security, turn on authentication in MC.

Ok but if the correct Access key is not entered how are these other computers and iPhone finding the server?  Shouldn't they be asking for the new key?

Carl.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 11:31:03 pm »

Because if your home IP hasn't changed (and mine doesn't regularly, often for months and months it is static), then the old lookup will still be successful.  The Access Key system is a dynamic IP lookup system, much like Dyn.com, but only for MCWS (the Media Center API).

Even if your WAN IP does change, your ISP is probably serving your "network neighborhood" from a local pool of somewhat limited size.  It wouldn't be that surprising to get the old IP back again at some point in the future.  And, of course, this also assumes they aren't on your local network.  If they're on your local network, the chances of regaining the same internal IP are even higher (and if you do have port forwarding opened, then you almost certainly need a static IP on your LAN anyway).  Not that it matters, because they could just scan the network for the service (MC itself will auto-discover servers on the LAN).

If you don't want people to get into your Library using your old Access Key, then make sure Authentication is enabled and change the Username and Password (if they have the old one).

That won't stop someone determined, but it should stop any casual onlookers.  If you want it to be truly secure, you'll need to run a VPN Service at home to access your Library only through the VPN.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jctcom

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 01:55:23 am »

Ok. Thanks guys.  That clears things up as far as my understanding of the access key.

I have run into another issue though related to this issue.

I have set up a user probably back in MC 18 and I no longer remember the password.  Being the Administrator I would think I should just be able to delete this user.  But it seems like it will not allow me to delete the user until I can input the password for said user.

Aside from the fact that this seems like a bit of a flaw to me  (I would thing that the Administrator should always be able to have control over other user accounts?)  I would like to know if there is another way for me to delete this user account?  The person that it was originally created for also no longer remembers the password.

Carl.

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 11:08:40 am »

That won't stop someone determined, but it should stop any casual onlookers.  If you want it to be truly secure, you'll need to run a VPN Service at home to access your Library only through the VPN.

couldn't you just remove the user from the registry?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 03:32:36 pm »

couldn't you just remove the user from the registry?

I'm not sure what you were replying to based on your comment and quoted line, but... Assuming you were commenting on my "won't stop someone determined": MCWS is HTTP, not HTTPS.

If you were replying to jctcom's second problem, then the Users are stored in the Library, not the registry.  You can delete the users.jmd file, but that nukes all of your users.

jctcom

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 03:40:55 pm »

I'm not sure what you were replying to based on your comment and quoted line, but... Assuming you were commenting on my "won't stop someone determined": MCWS is HTTP, not HTTPS.

If you were replying to jctcom's second problem, then the Users are stored in the Library, not the registry.  You can delete the users.jmd file, but that nukes all of your users.

This would nuke only the added users right ?  Not the main administrator?  If I were to do this and then recreate any additional users I wanted to keep then I should get the result I am looking for?

Carl.

jctcom

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 12:43:27 pm »

Hey Guys.

Just need to get last question answered so I can proceed with resetting all secondary users and know that I am not somehow crippling the main Administrator user.

Thanks.

Carl.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 12:48:27 pm »

This would nuke only the added users right ?  Not the main administrator?  If I were to do this and then recreate any additional users I wanted to keep then I should get the result I am looking for?

Yes.  (Sorry, didn't see this initially.)

The Administrator account is built-in and cannot be removed (even if you delete that file).  It will delete all other users on the system.  You can recreate them as you see fit then.

jctcom

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 12:51:25 pm »

Thanks a lot!!

Carl.
Pages: [1]   Go Up