INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IO Data GV-MC7 compatible?  (Read 1547 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
IO Data GV-MC7 compatible?
« on: November 01, 2014, 12:35:37 am »

I have bought a second hand IO Data GV-MC7 Tuner. However I didnt fully check its compatibility before buying and it seems it only works with Windows 7 (I am running Windows 8.1). There is a way for me to get it working, but it involves me buying the upgrade to Win 8.1 Pro to install Windows Media Center, and installing Windows 7 in a VM to grab a dll file. Before I waste a day of my life doing all that I am wondering if I can find out in advance if JRiver Media Center is going to be able to see the device at the end of it all. If Windows Media Center can see it is that a good indication that JRiver MC will be able to too?

The device details are here:
http://www.iodata.jp/product/av/tidegi/gv-mc7vz/

On the box it says that it is DTCP-IP compatible.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: IO Data GV-MC7 compatible?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 12:07:33 pm »

What kind of tuner is this?  We currently support ATSC, QAM, DVB, CableCARD, and analog (cable or antenna).

If MC supports it, it should appear in the list of devices in Tools > Options > Television.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 08:57:07 pm »

Do you just need a Windows 8.1 driver?

I don't know if this source is reliable, but here is a W8 driver for it: http://www.driverscape.com/download/i-o-data-gv-mc7-vz

A search showed several sources, but many were suspicious. It is an old device! (Five years is old these days.)

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 07:52:36 am »

Yaobing, being a Japanese device for recording domestic HD broadcast material I am guessing it is ISDB.

RoderickGI, thanks for searching for me. Unfortunately that link you sent me wants me to download a paid driver update app. I downloaded just the driver and tried to install it using Device Manager in Windows but it says the driver is for the wrong platform.

After reading through blogs and forums it seems that there is no Win 8 driver for it. You have to try to fool the installer that you have Win 7 Media Center edition installed, which involves taking a dll from Windows 7 Media Center edition and using it to overwrite a file that gets created when you install Windows 8 Media Center edition (personally I dont really want to buy the pro update to windows 8 just to get that dll). Then you have to try to install the setup app in compatibility mode (win 7) just to get the drivers installed. It looks like a lot of hassle to to be able to record some TV. I think I might resell the device.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 04:21:33 pm »

I think I might resell the device.

Sorry about the dud lead. I didn't try to download the driver, for obvious reasons.  ;)

That sounds like a good plan. Although anybody is likely to have the same trouble you are, if they are running Windows 8 or plan to upgrade to Windows 9/10 when it is available (soon!).

I suspect that the person who sold it to you knew of this problem.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up