INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Would like a media sub type to relate to children's movies  (Read 3247 times)

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Would like a media sub type to relate to children's movies
« on: July 23, 2015, 12:11:12 am »

I don't care what it's called but it would be very useful and if granted I hope it's included in MC21 also....thanks
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

ferday

• MC Beta Team
Re: Would like a media sub type to relate to children's movies
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 08:52:34 am »

There's a lot of ways to skin this cat (genre, sub genre, keywords, custom fields, etc.)

I don't care if they change subtypes so don't get me wrong, just wondering why you feel that is the solution

~OHM~

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 09:26:40 am »

For me I would prefer the media sub type...keywords and custom fields are not what I'm looking at, as for genre I suppose would work but i don't get y we can't make our own media sub type and for that matter media type!
thanks for your input.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 09:38:18 am »

They are special fields
The idea behind MST is to provide MC with additional information for how to treat certain types of content without using hidden, black magic rules or sacrificing the Genre tag. We want the user to be able to identify content as an audiobook and still be able to specify the Genre that the book belongs to.

The MST is certainly used when transferring content to handhelds (particularly iPod's) but is also used by MC internally (to determine bookmarking, for instance). It is not our intention to use this field as a mechanism for general content organization.

Content that is Comedy or Personal requires no special handling from MC (or handhelds) so these types of tags may best be left to fields like Genre and/or Keywords. Text that is a book vs. an IRS audit notice also requires no special handling by MC.

Years ago MC (or MJ) included (nestable) 'Categories' as an organizational mechanism but users were confused by how to use these and weren't sure what the difference between a category, a genre and a playlist was. So you may want to also try to pull off the organization you're looking for with playlists and playlist groups.

I know you've had this issue before (dlna right) but I think you aren't using the super powers that MC can offer...

~OHM~

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 09:49:26 am »

Where is the link for this quote....I have no clue what MST is. Yes it is a dlna issue I have and playlists don't work on this particular tv...they show up but won't play.
again thanks for ur input

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 09:58:15 am »

It's from a subtype request post (MST = media subtype) I just had that quote copied (from glynor I believe) into my evernote

I'd love to try and help you solve the issue if you like, be specific about your goals...I'm happy to drop it as well ;)

For example, I use keyword "family".  Then in the DLNA view, I use a filter to only show movies with "family" in the keywords field.  It's very simple and flexible...

~OHM~

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 11:49:53 am »

Thanks....I will give the family keyword a shot...give me a day or so and I will let ya know...

~OHM~

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 03:04:26 pm »

ferday thanks for your input. The thing is I don't want to spend hours or days trying to beat the system. It is what it is. My solution is to by a portable hard drive move all the childrens movies on it and plug it into the tv and use the native player from the tv...

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 03:21:36 pm »

I put all the kids movies into a single folder
Made a view for that folder
Assigned keyword family

Went into the DLNA config
Set a filter for show "only with family keyword"

Now on the DLNA I have two browsing structures, one for family and one for not

Whole thing was probably 20 minutes.  Just saying.  I can step by step if it helps.  Anyways, don't wanna push anything on you, just trying to share what work(s) for me

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 05:07:22 pm »

(from glynor I believe)

It wasn't me. I think it was Matt.

For the record, I use [Genre], rather than [Keywords], but same deal.  You can do this:

Went into the DLNA config
Set a filter for show "only with family keyword"

For Theater View, Standard View, Media Network Views, and DLNA Views.  It is very flexible.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up