INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can i run DSD file in JRiver 20  (Read 2580 times)

Amalz

How can i run DSD file in JRiver 20
« on: October 31, 2014, 12:53:42 am »

Hello,

How can i run DSD file in JRiver 20?  :-\

I hve DAC support DSD+DXD+PCM file

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: How can i run DSD file in JRiver 20
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 08:12:27 am »

Welcome.

You can play DSD files and they'll play as high sample rate PCM.  If you want to bitstream instead, pick Bitstreaming > DSD in Options > Audio.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

iamimdoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 12:49:33 pm »

Is one method "preferred" over the others?

If so could you create a brief tutorial as to how to configure each way?

Thanks

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 11:24:11 pm »

Bitstreaming keeps the playback as DSD, and means that you cannot perform any processing on the audio signal, such as Volume control, Volume Leveling, Room Correction etc.
Playing as PCM converts from DSD to PCM and allows you to perform DSP on the signal.

Some people argue that it is important to avoid conversions from DSD to PCM for the best sound.
Personally, I have better results converting to PCM and applying DSP. Volume Leveling alone is too good to miss.

Amalz

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 01:53:41 am »

Welcome.

You can play DSD files and they'll play as high sample rate PCM.  If you want to bitstream instead, pick Bitstreaming > DSD in Options > Audio.

You mean just play DSD flie without doing anything?

What is mean bitstream instead? Can you please explain me

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 06:59:32 am »

Tools → Options → Audio → Settings → Bitstreaming: DSD

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 10:27:00 am »

You mean just play DSD flie without doing anything?

What is mean bitstream instead? Can you please explain me

There are 3 ways to play DSD files. One is to have MC convert the DSD to PCM, which allows MC to apply its various processing options (DSP) and to control the volume. This is useful if you want to use those options or if you DAC does not support native DSD. The second option is to send straight DSD to the DAC. Because of the form of DSD MC (and most software) cannot add anything (like DSP options or volume control) to the DSD data. Some DACs accept straight DSD, but many do not. So there is a third option - to pack the DSD data into a PCM file format (DoP format) and send that to the DAC. The DAC then pulls the DSD data out of the PCM format and plays the DSD. Note that this simply uses the PCM data stream format. It does not convert to PCM data. Using the second or third option is dictated by what DSD format your DAC supports.

In the context of DSD, bitstreaming simply means sending the DSD to the DAC (either native or in DoP format) without converting to PCM.

Bitstreaming and DoP are set in Options - Audio.

You can also have MC convert PCM files to DSD and send DSD to the DAC. This requires a fast CPU, as the PCM to DSD conversion is very CPU intensive. This option is set on the DSP Studio page, under encoding. You get to DSP studio from Options Audio or from the Audio Path icon, upper right on the main screen, next to the Shuffle and Repeat icons.
Pages: [1]   Go Up