INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 20 and Mac OS X 10.6.8  (Read 4085 times)

Rob_C

• Recent member
MC 20 and Mac OS X 10.6.8
« on: November 02, 2014, 06:07:07 pm »

Can I expect MC 20 to run on Mac OS X 10.6.8?

I have an older MacBook Pro that cannot be upgraded to a newer version of Mac OS X so I figured I'd repurpose it for use as a music server.  I loaded up MC 20 trial on it and it ran for awhile and found some of my music files but then crashed with a math divide by zero error.  I tried relaunching but it continued to crash after a few seconds of running.  I then removed the JRiver directory in <user>/Library/Application Support/ thinking that this might cure the crash when MC 20 rebuilds it but now MC 20 reports that my trail period has ended.  I just loaded it on the machine an hour ago!?!

Anyway, if it is known to run on this version I will continue trying.  Otherwise I will give up.  :'(

qz3fwd

• Recent member
Re: MC 20 and Mac OS X 10.6.8
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 08:09:50 pm »

MC20 wont even stay running for more than 3 seconds on my Mac Pro (Snow Loepard).
It takes forever to start up (that is another problem), and even before I can get to the menu or do anything with the app it crashes hard.
What a pitty. I had higher expectations and had hoped the glacial load times had been resolved or improved upon. What in gods name is this app loading which causes it to launch at a snails pace?

qz3fwd

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 08:20:22 pm »

I feel your pain. I installed 20 with 19 still in place, fired up 20 and then all I did was resize the application window and it crashed from a window resize!
Now the darn thing wont run for more than 2-3 seconds before crashing. Tried overwirting the app folder from the dmg but that didnt help.
I am not impressed at this point and I paid for a license upgrade a few months ago to 20:(.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 08:57:42 pm »

MC20 wont even stay running for more than 3 seconds on my Mac Pro (Snow Loepard).
It takes forever to start up (that is another problem), and even before I can get to the menu or do anything with the app it crashes hard.
What a pitty. I had higher expectations and had hoped the glacial load times had been resolved or improved upon. What in gods name is this app loading which causes it to launch at a snails pace?

I don't have any of these issues, though I haven't been using it on a Snow Leopard machine in quite some time.  Startup happens in about 3 "bounces" on my Mini under Yosemite.  It is a little slower (but not by much) on my Macbook Pro (which is a late-2011, pre-Retina Unibody, Sandy Bridge model).

It is possible that they don't support 10.6.8 anymore.  I know the dev box they're using is newer, and I'm using it on Mavericks and Yosemite now exclusively, so I can't really comment.  Even from the very first version, Snow Leopard support was a little sketchy (I think the original builds were done under Lion).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

qz3fwd

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 01:07:37 am »

So i played around with builds 24, 28, 29 and only 24 can even play a wav file without crashing. On any newer builds it will ALWAYS crash the thread devoted to media import - be it audio/video. I imported several CD rips on 24 and can playback the audio fine, but any newer builds crash trying to play a wav file. It will also crash trying to import mkv, ts, mp4 files. It will also crash every time shortly after startup unless you cancel auto importation and the countdown clock is not a indicator for when the crash will happen. It happens mere seconds after the countdown initiates. I assume the new video pipeline also processes audio streams and is the buggy code causing these persistent crashes. I wonder if the devs even bother testing on Snow Leopard?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 02:19:35 am »

The next build should work again on 10.6, however we may start requiring 10.7 in the future, so I can only advice you to think about upgrading your OS.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 07:26:06 am »

I merged some related posts.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 02:25:35 pm »

Apple generally only did security updates for the current and previous versions of OSX.
Because of their accelerated release schedule it appears they now support the last 3 versions.
Since 10.10 is out (Yosemite) this means only Yosemite, 10.9 (Mavericks)  and 10.8 (Mountain Lion) are officially supported.

The last update to 10.6, 10.6.8 came out in July of 2011. That's ancient history in OSX terms.
It doesn't support OpenGL 3 and so will likely never support video in MC.

Though the build 20.0.38 of MC fixes the crashing issue (it was because of the video support) you can expect that eventually MC will not work on 10.6.8

JohnT

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 04:06:37 pm »

Build 20.0.38 posted at the top of this page fixes the crashing problem with 10.6.8 OSX and all 32 bit systems.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

qz3fwd

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 05:31:49 pm »

Got it. Where are the system requirements stated for the product?
I did not see that anywhere in regards to SL not supporting video.....

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 06:02:27 pm »

You could update from 10.6.8.

We talked about this today.  We decided that we would support what Apple does. 

MC currently works on 10.6.8, but video won't.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 08:48:34 pm »

Got it. Where are the system requirements stated for the product?
I did not see that anywhere in regards to SL not supporting video.....

Well, considering that MC didn't support video at all until two weeks ago, that's not something that had likely been worked out.

But, here are the system requirements:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/System_Requirements#System_Requirements

jdub

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 03:12:55 am »

Can I expect MC 20 to run on Mac OS X 10.6.8?

I have an older MacBook Pro that cannot be upgraded to a newer version of Mac OS X so I figured I'd repurpose it for use as a music server.  I loaded up MC 20 trial on it and it ran for awhile and found some of my music files but then crashed with a math divide by zero error.  I tried relaunching but it continued to crash after a few seconds of running.  I then removed the JRiver directory in <user>/Library/Application Support/ thinking that this might cure the crash when MC 20 rebuilds it but now MC 20 reports that my trail period has ended.   I just loaded it on the machine an hour ago!?!

Anyway, if it is known to run on this version I will continue trying.  Otherwise I will give up.  :'(

I just downloaded Mc 20 and I'm running snow leopard 10.6.8 and everything is fine
Pages: [1]   Go Up