INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two very similar views - behave quite differently over DLNA. I'm confused!?!??  (Read 1880 times)

magnust

• Galactic Citizen

I have two views. One shows random tracks and another one that shows random (full) albums:
[Media Type]=[Audio] ~sort=Random ~n=200
and
[Media Type]=[Audio] ~sort=Random ~n=20 ~a ~sort=[Track #]
(also see screenshots of these below)

1 - The one with random tracks refreshes the list when either doing a reload/refresh in the DLNA control point or popping to another view and then back to this view in the DLNA control point.

2 - The one with random full albums DOES NOT refresh the list when either doing a reload/refresh in the DLNA control point or popping to another view and then back to this view in the DLNA control point.

To me they look aaaalmost identical, so I'm not sure where to poke around to try to fix it???

I've tried a number of DLNA contol points, dbpoweramps Asset UPnP and Linn's Kinsky on windows and the extremely nice BubbleUPnp on Android but they all show the same behaviour.

magnust

• Galactic Citizen

I'm thinking this might actually be a bug?

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe

what are you trying to do? Are you talking about how its being viewed on the control point? or the playback on the renderer?

Your screen shot views works the way I would expect it to.

Are you talking about reshuffling on refresh?  If so, this will not shuffle the tracks, refresh will just shuffle the album order. If you have a lot more than 20 albums on your list, this would also change albums on refresh.

Now, the code you posted is something else again and would not give the screen shot ...  adding ~sort=[Track #] is going to take 20 albums and sort the entire list using all the track 1's then all the track 2s etc. However it still refreshes correctly. Using JRiver as a control point that is.

If this is not happening its not a bug in JRiver its in the dlna control  -- remember DLNA is not a fixed standard like a red book cd. It would be impossible to insure all MC's functionality could run on all DLNA devices; as each company redefines DLNA "compatibility" on their own terms. It would be easy for these companies to do this in reverse however ;).

I can see why some people need to use a dlna renderer, but is there a reason running something like Kinsky from a PC when you are already using JRiver? Now if you are talking about phone or tablet controllers thats something else again - if you are waiting for JRemote to be ported over to Android for instance.

Oh just thought of something .. you said ASSET UPnP? Thats a media server, not a controler per se. Are you running JRiver as a media server AND Asset at the same time? 2 media servers running concurrently -- not a good idea if so. Check your DLNA settings when Media server is turned on in JRiver, you have choices under the advanced tab that you might be able to tweek for your renderer better

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team

Oh just thought of something .. you said ASSET UPnP? Thats a media server, not a controler per se. Are you running JRiver as a media server AND Asset at the same time? 2 media servers running concurrently -- not a good idea if so. Check your DLNA settings when Media server is turned on in JRiver, you have choices under the advanced tab that you might be able to tweek for your renderer better

Perhaps he is referring to Asset Control?

But admittedly I am also confused about what he is using to push or pull what media from what server to what renderer...
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

magnust

• Galactic Citizen

Sorrry for being unclear. I run only one dlnaserver on my network and that's an MC20 running on a windows server.

Then I play music from that server in a couple of different places:

- Living room stereo with tv, running another instance of MC20 on the HTPC as a MC client to the MC server. This one is normally controlled in theater mode on the telly. Sometimes though I use an Android tablet with the very nice BubbleUpNP as a control point using the dlna server as server and the htpc mc as the renderer.

- Headphones connected to the tablet or my Android phone.  Then I use BubbleUpNP as a controller AND renderer.

Just for testing to see it wasn't just BubbleUpNP was acting up I tested different scenarios with a number of UPnP control point. All gave the same behavior.
---------

What I want the views to do is to give me a fresh pile of new music every time a go to these "random" views. So I either want a random pick of songs. Or a random pick of albums.

As long as I use native J River connection between MC client and server it works perfect. But if I use Dlna between the mc server and any renderer I get the described problem, the random albums do not refresh and show another random set of albums each time I go there. But random songs works perfect in all scenarios.

Any questions on that? :-)

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team

So basically you are using third party upnp control points to browse a custom content directory folder on MC's upnp server and push those tracks to another upnp renderer?

If that is the case, then you need to know that in upnp the CP downloads all tracks in a content directory folder in one browse fetch, and then it keeps that list locally on the CP. And after that it pushes one by one the items in its local list. So if in the meantime MC shuffles or changes the contents of the master folder, that will have no impact on the CP's local image of the original contents of that folder. If you want to refresh the CP's local image of the folder would need to browse up one level in the tree and then back to the folder you are interested in.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

magnust

• Galactic Citizen

If you want to refresh the CP's local image of the folder would need to browse up one level in the tree and then back to the folder you are interested in.

Yup. And when I do that, the random track view refreshes and gives me a new list of tracks. But the random albums view does not refresh, whatever I do I'm stuck with the same 20 albums until I restart the dlna controller. *scratching my head*  :)

magnust

• Galactic Citizen

Yup. And when I do that, the random track view refreshes and gives me a new list of tracks. But the random albums view does not refresh, whatever I do I'm stuck with the same 20 albums until I restart the dlna controller. *scratching my head*  :)

Anybody tested this behaviour?
Pages: [1]   Go Up