INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: annoying track buffering issue - linux version as server to ipad / jremote  (Read 2176 times)

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen

Hi, not sure if this should go in linux room, or remotes room on the forum.
This is going to be one of those hard to diagnose issues as there are so many variables at play.
Plus it's worked fine but today no play, or at least, limited play.
At home, linux box running ubuntu 14.04, jriver latest version 20.31-1
At work, ipad mini ios 7, jremote 3.09
So there's the internet in between, which itself can introduce who knows what! Just trying to cut down the variables / things to check.
I've logged on to the machine at home via nomachine app, and restarted mediacenter.
I've restarted jremote more than once.
Depending on the track file size, the internal buffering might not acquire the entire file, hence playback stops at some point until I click to play the next track. MP3's (not many of them in my collection) are not impacted I guess because the file size is so much lower.
With a typical 16/44 flac, I can get 3 to 3 1/2 minutes worth until buffering stops.
Latest song, Depeche Mode just shy of 5 minutes, stops at 02:59
Next song has only managed 22 seconds, next song 02:42
So probably when I get home and test it, it'll work fine, and when I'm back at work on Monday, it'll be fine.
It's hard to guess at what's happening, so sticking with just the software and ignoring network issues for the moment, are there any settings in mediacenter I can adjust? would that improve buffering at the ipad receiving end? I know I can force transcoding to mp3 but right now it's set to deliver the original, and that's worked perfectly before now.
Or there's a bug in mediacenter 31-1
Or there's a big in jremote 3.09
or any other manner of issues between my computer, my router, my ISP, the internet in general, my work internet connection, wireless network at work, my ipad, angle of the sun etc ......

thanks
Robert
xubuntu lts 14.04 32 bit, running mc22.0.36 as anything later doesn't work properly over vnc. using linux mc22 as media server to windows mc22 last version / jremote on ipad.
I am the owner / sole admin for www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk ("fan" site for Cyrus Audio hifi)

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
Re: annoying track buffering issue - linux version as server to ipad / JRemote
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 03:19:47 am »

As I thought, works perfectly at home right now over the internal network. Let's see what happens tomorrow @ work, but I suspect these are things beyond my control and nothing I can influence in the software (other than to engage transcoding down to mp3 high quality, which I'd prefer not to do).
One of the tracks that worked perfectly earlier in the week was an album as a single file flac (+ cue?) 350mb (ish) so the whole file streamed across without issue.
xubuntu lts 14.04 32 bit, running mc22.0.36 as anything later doesn't work properly over vnc. using linux mc22 as media server to windows mc22 last version / jremote on ipad.
I am the owner / sole admin for www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk ("fan" site for Cyrus Audio hifi)

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
Re: annoying track buffering issue - linux version as server to ipad / JRemote
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 05:29:15 am »

back at work; still not working properly.
it almost seems like there's a cut off and when the buffer is full / reaches a certain limit, the streaming stops.
hmmm, not sure what i can do now, will try disconnect / reconnect with the wifi.
Pages: [1]   Go Up