INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why is it impossible to attach cover art to some audio files?  (Read 2064 times)

lendall

• Recent member
  • Pour notre Malheur, le monde est réel

Most files, no problem.  Easy.  But there are some where it seems like I have attached cover art in the usual way, and then nothing -- it isn't there. I go through the same process repeatedly, with the same result.   Are some audio files "locked" in a way that prevents cover art from being attached to them?  Is there a setting that would let me override this? 
This is obviously not the most urgent issue in the world.  Just curious. 
Thanks for any suggestions.
Intel D975XBX2
Intel Quad Core 2 Extreme 06800 2.93Ghz
MAudio Audiophile Sound Card
XP, SP3
Preamplifier:  6SN7, all stages regulated, stepped attenuator; D.T.N. Williamson Amplifier, 12SN7, 6SN7, 807W (push-pull), Acrosound transformers  initial gain stage with regulated filaments; Speakers Cary Audio (3 way); System B:  Bottlehead Paramour amps with iron upgrade, nos RCA 2A3s; Bottlehead "Sex" speakers (Fostex FE 166E's, two Dayton Audio powered 10" subwoofers).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Why is it impossible to attach cover art to some audio files?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 07:06:58 am »

Can you send me a copy of a file that isn't taking the art?  I'm matt at jriver dot com.  Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lendall

• Recent member
  • Pour notre Malheur, le monde est réel

This is a very much delayed response to Matt's reply to my post on May 12.  I decided to take a look at what the files to which I could not attach cover art looked like.  They all had something in common, viz. very short, truncated file names.  (I think this had something to do with the pre-Media Center software I was using to rip them from CDs a long time ago.)  I went through and changed these truncated file names (I did it directly in MC), and as soon as I accomplished this I had no problem attaching cover art.  What is interesting is that MC has had no problem with these files except for this one issue.  Here are some examples:

18_ALB~1.MP3   to   Berg, Ferne Lieder.MP3

04_HUM~1.MP3…to   Searle Sym 3 i. Moderato.MP3

05_HUM~1.MP3   to   Searle Sym 3 ii. Allegro molto.MP3

06_HUM~1.MP3   to   Searle Sym 3 iii. Adagio.MP3

07_HUM~1.MP3   to   Searle Sym 5 – comp.MP3

BE244B~1.MP3   to   Milhaud, 2 poèmes d’amour i.MP3

BE7BB6~1.MP3   to   Milhaud 2 poèmes d’amour ii.MP3

So at present I do not see any reason to send you a file, since I seem to have solved the problem.

Thank you as always for your great help and support.
Intel D975XBX2
Intel Quad Core 2 Extreme 06800 2.93Ghz
MAudio Audiophile Sound Card
XP, SP3
Preamplifier:  6SN7, all stages regulated, stepped attenuator; D.T.N. Williamson Amplifier, 12SN7, 6SN7, 807W (push-pull), Acrosound transformers  initial gain stage with regulated filaments; Speakers Cary Audio (3 way); System B:  Bottlehead Paramour amps with iron upgrade, nos RCA 2A3s; Bottlehead "Sex" speakers (Fostex FE 166E's, two Dayton Audio powered 10" subwoofers).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 05:13:59 pm »

Boy, I can't explain why changing the filename would make any difference.  But I'm glad it's solved.

Unless maybe the files had some weird file permission issue but doing a rename fixed it?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

csimon

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 05:36:49 pm »

Those truncated filenames are a hangover from old versions of Windows (pre 95?) that could only read DOS-style 8.3 filenames! Applicatuons that hadn't been converted saw long filenames like that. I can't imagine in this day and age what sort of application could be creating filenames like that, must be from over 20 years ago?

Anyway, I wonder if it's a case issue with MC. i think I've noticed that renaming by changing the case of a filename doesn't aways work as expected, it may also be related to where the files are stored,e.g. on a Windows machine or on a Unix/Linux based machine. So just wondering if the file is all uppercase but MC thinks it isn't, or vice versa, or the filesystem is returning a different case, or is somehow returning the long name instead of the short name.  Whatever, perhaps in its original form, MC wasn't able to access the file for the purposes of attaching cover art, and explicitly renaming it would have solved.
Pages: [1]   Go Up