INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet Another Crackle Question [solved]  (Read 1100 times)

kaplapd

• Recent member
Yet Another Crackle Question [solved]
« on: November 11, 2014, 06:48:23 am »

I realize that the topic of crackle on playback has been discussed at length but I think I have a new version of the problem.  By way of background, I am using Media Center 20 on an HP all-in-one and I am using two USB outputs.  The first runs to a Bricasti M1 outboard DAC and then to a Cary SLI-80 integrated amp.  This path works just fine as output to my speakers is perfect and when I plug my headphones into the front of the Cary, that sound seems just fine as well.  The second USB path runs to a DAC1 Pre that I want to use with headphones as well but when I try the headphones through the DAC1 I get intermittent crackle.  This occurs when I play the same WAV file back with all the same settings on both paths - perfect through the Bricasti and Cary and crackles through the DAC1.  I have tried playing around with the buffer size and most of the other variable that I can identify for audio playback but nothing seems to change the crackling.  I infer that the problem is specific to the DAC1 but I can't figure out what it might be.  Does anyone have any thoughts?  Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Yet Another Crackle Question
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 10:31:06 am »

Buffering in Options > Audio is the only MC thing that would matter.  You could also switch between ASIO and WASAPI if possible.

Can you try connecting the DAC to a different port?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

kaplapd

• Recent member
Re: Yet Another Crackle Question
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 12:59:55 pm »

It was the buffering. I went from 100 milliseconds to 50 and the problem went away. Many thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Yet Another Crackle Question [solved]
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 01:00:59 pm »

Well I have no idea why a smaller buffer would work and a larger one wouldn't but I'm glad it's fixed!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up