INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CPU use  (Read 1009 times)

scub

CPU use
« on: January 29, 2002, 04:48:49 am »

I was looking at the CPU usage of MediaJukebox 8.189 between my work PC and my home PC.  Work PC is running Pentium 3 933 and home PC is running Pentium 3 800.  Both machines have 256MB of RAM.  Work PC is running Windows NT with latest service pack.  Home PC is running Windows 98SE.  Here are the CPU usage numbers.

playing mp3: Work-- 10% Home-- 25%      
playing realjukebox sound file: Work-- 3% Home-- 15%
playing mp3 with visualization (clean and tidy 1)on full display running at 33fps: Work-- 60%  Home-- 100%

I know the work PC has a little faster processor but not by much.  I checked Winamp at home and it ran at about 9%.  Running MJ in mini-me didn't reduce CPU usage at all either.  Any idead why it seems to choke my home PC?

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:CPU use
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2002, 04:51:10 am »

EQ and DSP off?
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

scub

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2002, 04:55:01 am »

EQ was on at work.  Shutting it off shaved about a percent off on MP3 playing.  DSP was off on both machines.  EQ was on at home also.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2002, 05:00:26 am »

Make sure you minimize MJ and don't move the mouse when looking at CPU usage.  The UI can take quite a bit.

With visualizations, a bunch will depend on the speed of the bus / video card, so that could explain differences as well.

Also, there is really no reliable way to figure CPU usage under Win98, so maybe the numbers you're getting under Win98 aren't quite right.

Later.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Gatobrit

• Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2002, 05:12:08 am »

Hi,
    If you haven't already try a reboot of your home system - I find that after a MJ upgrade my CPU usage is high until I reboot and then it returns to normal.

John
Namaste,
John

scub

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2002, 05:12:22 am »

I use a third party CPU monitoring program in Windows 98 that seems to be pretty accurate.  

I moved the playback slider to more responsive ( all the way right) and that reduced mp3 playing to about 5% on work PC.  Can't check home at the moment, forget where I have it, that could be the problem.

I've done enough benchmarks on my machine to know better than to do anything when running a benchmark.  I stay still and take an average over about 30 seconds.

You right minimizing did help on work PC it runs at about 3% now,  very nice.  Now if I can get my home pc down that low...
Pages: [1]   Go Up