INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't turn off "Intelli-Volume"  (Read 1761 times)

mastiff

Can't turn off "Intelli-Volume"
« on: January 28, 2002, 09:12:32 pm »

Or can I? When I send sound from Media Jukebox via the Audigy Platinum EX' SP-DIF out to my Denon 3801, the volume changes in different parts of the music. Quiet passages are amplified after 2-3 seconds, and when a louder passage comes, it is actually distorted for a few seconds before the volume is decreased. I'm trying out this setup to see if I want to go with it, so it's not registered. I'm also using a tryout of the DFX plugin. Does anybody have an idea what this can be? I've turned the Intelli-Volume off (along with all other internal DSP functions) in Media Jukebox.

It makes no difference to use the analog output of the sound card (except for a very audible loss in sound quality - the cables are more than 30 meter long). Can this be in the Denon? I don't think an amp is able to vary it's input volume like that. At least I've never seen one that can.

Right now I'm using WinXP, but I had the same problem under WinME. I have tried with version 7.272 and the different betas of 8 that has come along. No difference.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:Can't turn off
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2002, 04:20:57 am »

Do you have anything like "Dynamic Compression" enabled in the sound card driver, SPDIF output format, or in the amp?  That's all I can think...

Media Jukebox is bit-perfect with the eq and dsp off...

Let us know.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

LCtheDJ

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2002, 09:50:30 am »

Have you tried turning off the 'Dynamic Boost' feature of the DFX plugin?  What you describe is just what that does.  It increases the quiet parts and suppresses the loud parts (compressor/limiter).  Delay in action may be the result of DFX using a buffer.

Mastiff

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2002, 12:03:01 pm »

I've actually turned off everything except for fidelity and super bass in DFX. And I found no entries for dynamic compression in the sound card settings, nor could I find that the Denon can use DC on anything else than DD and DTS soundtracks.

mastiff

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2002, 09:26:21 pm »

Update:
OK, I finally found the guilty party: My test version of DFX. It turned out that the Denon did not like too much bass from the Hyper Bass setting. So I dumped DFX. Another reason for me to do that is more of a mystery: In WinAmp I know you can set DFX not to show the window at all. Why is that not possible in Media Jukebox? The only way I found to get rid of it was to set Girder to close the window (and the "DFX will now close but keep on modifying your sound" or whatever window). Is there a very good reason not to let users choose wether they want to have the adjustment window on the task bar or not?

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2002, 04:24:42 am »

Did you try MJ's internal DSP?
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox
Pages: [1]   Go Up