INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Install on Mac for all users?  (Read 1097 times)

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dad to three beatuiful Boxers by rescue.
Install on Mac for all users?
« on: November 16, 2014, 10:53:16 am »

Is there a way to install JR20 on a Mac and have it available for use by all users? Also, it needs to run the MediaServer inn the background. Please be kind - I'm a Mac NOOB.  ;D

Thanks in advance for any help.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Install on Mac for all users?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 01:00:00 pm »

MC's settings are per user, though you can set them up to share a Library easily enough. Just add a non-Default Library (clone your existing one over to another place on the file system that everyone can access).  Then set up one user account correctly and make a Backup.

Switch to each of the other users and restore the Backup (selecting only, or at least, Settings).

That'll add the alternative Library to their accounts and then you just need to pick it once in the Library Manager and they'll use the same Library and (start off with, at least, barring changes) the same settings.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dad to three beatuiful Boxers by rescue.
Re: Install on Mac for all users?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 06:53:24 pm »

MC's settings are per user, though you can set them up to share a Library easily enough. Just add a non-Default Library (clone your existing one over to another place on the file system that everyone can access).  Then set up one user account correctly and make a Backup.

Switch to each of the other users and restore the Backup (selecting only, or at least, Settings).

That'll add the alternative Library to their accounts and then you just need to pick it once in the Library Manager and they'll use the same Library and (start off with, at least, barring changes) the same settings.

Great idea, thanks! While I was waiting on a reply I was wondering if I could set up the main user account to start the MediaServer when the Mac boots up. Then install JR for each user and let them connect to the library as a "client" when I'm not logged in as the main user? (please remember, I'm a Mac NOOB)  :-[
Pages: [1]   Go Up