INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need New Way To Watch Netflix With 10 Foot Interface (Solved)  (Read 42903 times)

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Need New Way To Watch Netflix With 10 Foot Interface (Solved)
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2015, 03:48:35 pm »

Fix for Netflix Search in MCE. read the 2nd post down listed as Answer and download the fix, unzip it and install.

I Installed in windows 8.1 pro 64bit and it works perfect.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/netflix-search-not-working-in-windows-media-center/80d9a5be-21f3-4d56-9089-89faf560ab30

There is also this solution, same thing just doesn't require a service to be installed.
http://www.p2portal.net/

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2015, 03:52:18 pm »

I've setup QuickWMC and it worked fine for a few hours.

Now I can still browse and play movies, but when playback stops and I return to Netflix or when I click search I'm getting a "No Internet Connection" error.

I've tried resetting IE to defaults and clearing cache etc etc, but that makes no difference.

I am running Netflix from Australia so have to use DNS spoofing to get around the Geo blocking, not sure if this could contribute to the issue....

Anybody else seen this and managed to fix it?

Thanks
Richard

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2015, 04:52:36 pm »

Now I can still browse and play movies, but when playback stops and I return to Netflix or when I click search I'm getting a "No Internet Connection" error.

I've tried resetting IE to defaults and clearing cache etc etc, but that makes no difference.

I am running Netflix from Australia so have to use DNS spoofing to get around the Geo blocking, not sure if this could contribute to the issue....

Thanks
Richard

Hi Richard - I did have that problem but hate to admit I don't remember what I did to fix it. I do remember doing a google search on something like WMC Netflix "no internet connection" and found a few solutions, one of which worked. Sorry I can't help more.

Good luck,
Rod

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2015, 04:57:17 pm »

Hi Richard - I did have that problem but hate to admit I don't remember what I did to fix it. I do remember doing a google search on something like WMC Netflix "no internet connection" and found a few solutions, one of which worked. Sorry I can't help more.

Good luck,
Rod

Thanks Rod, I have googled a lot and tried lots of things, but I'll keep looking.  At least I know it's probably fixable.

Interesting thing is it's happening on BOTH my machines.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2015, 06:36:18 pm »

Here is a mod based on Rod's instructions (and tested by myself and rpalmer68) for those not in the US (as WMC will try to GEO block the install of the Netflix add in).  Note: you will still need a VPN or DNS Spoofer to get Netflix to accept your account.  You also need Windows Media Centre installed (I had to Buy in on Win 8.1 separately).

1. Downloaded QuickWMC from https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=97357342DE886853&id=97357342DE886853!143  
2. Unzipped it to a new folder in Program Files.
3. In the new QuickWMC folder opened addininstall.exe  This installs the add in to WMC.
3a: Manually install the Netflix addon from Microsoft
3b: You now need to "Fix" this install using MCE-Reset-Toolbox  Install this program (free 30 Day Trial) and when running it go to Start Menu --> Fix Netflix Button.  You can then uninstall this prog if you want.

4. To test that it works okay I opened Start Netflix.
5. In JRiver MC Settings: Tools/Options/Theater View/Netflix I changed the Program to the location of QuickWMC which on my computer is    C:\Program Files\QuickWMC\QuickWMC\QuickWMC.exe
6. In the same setting box in Command Line Argument I put  Netflix.

Just a note to add to Nathan's last guide.

If you try to install the MWC Netflix plugin and get an error at the 55% point, don't worry it's common it seems:  http://assassinhtpcblog.com/wmcplugins/#guide34

I ended up installing Silverlight manually, then the Netflix WMC plugin (with the error at 55%) and then once I did the Netflix fix in step 3b Netflix loaded up fine when I ran Start Netflix in the QuickWMC folder.

Richard

Hilton

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2015, 07:04:02 pm »

There is also this solution, same thing just doesn't require a service to be installed.
http://www.p2portal.net/

Call me paranoid, but I'd rather the locally hosted version that just installs a local service than rely on an unknown external site.

Hilton

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2015, 07:06:44 pm »

I have the source code for QuickWMC if it would help.

Sure if you can post it up on Onedrive I'll have a look. If you don't have onedrive setup, PM me and I'll send you a link to upload it to mine.

Hilton

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2015, 07:12:56 pm »

Thanks
Richard

I use unblock-us DNS spoofing here in Australia too and don't get that error. I run the DNS in my router rather than individual machines. This way I can use the Netflix app on the iPhone and iPad. (used jerry cards to buy Netflix App on a US iTunes account.)

Hilton

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2015, 09:25:25 pm »

I'm going to play with this Netflix scraping script tonight and see what I can do with it.
It gets around the public API problem by using your login token to scrape the data.

I may be able to create a bunch of URLs and import them into MC20 as playlists to play externally in MCE. Then again I may not be smart enough to make it work! ;)

http://mechanicalscribe.com/notes/scraping-netflix-category-data/

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2015, 04:21:46 am »

Thanks Richard - the search tip worked well

Hiltonk - very interested to see how you go (I did have a short attempt to do something similar with You Tube videos but did not get far and I thought they would be easy as there are plenty of scraper with published code for them already)
JRiver CEO Elect

Hilton

« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2015, 04:25:15 am »

Im just trying to work out what file type to use to store the meta data. Using a standard MPL playlist I can store all the data fields and import it into MC but I don't get any tags.  The playlist file plays fine from MC20 straight to a browser. (with cached credentials)

Any ideas?

I haven't used URL filetypes before, do they use sidecar to store the additional tags?
Maybe I'll have to auto generate both a URL and a sidecar XML file?

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<MPL Version="2.0" Title="New Playlist (2)">
<Item>
<Field Name="Filename">http://www.netflix.com/WiPlayer?movieid=70307913#trackId=200257859</Field>
<Field Name="Name">S01E01 - Standing Up in the Milky Way</Field>
<Field Name="Genre">Documentary</Field>
<Field Name="Media Type">Video</Field>
<Field Name="Description">Discover Earth's "cosmic address" and meet Renaissance Italy's Giordano Bruno, who had an epiphany about the infinite expanse of the universe.</Field>
<Field Name="Media Sub Type">TV Show</Field>
<Field Name="File Type">url</Field>
<Field Name="Series">Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey</Field>
<Field Name="Season">1</Field>
<Field Name="Episode">1</Field>
</Item>
</MPL>

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2015, 04:59:49 am »

Looking good!

Here is a pic of some Radio Streams.  As you can see the File type is actually the file type.  What does netflix send down (TS, M2TS, MP4 etc)?

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

Hilton

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2015, 05:03:58 am »

Yeah I was just typing this as you posted about the radio streams.

I think what we really need here is a way to import data directly into MC20 database with the tags and urls like radio streams.

I can get it to work just fine with url pointer files, but it would be better if we could just store a link to a stream directly in the library like the radio streams.
Otherwise i'm going to have to generate thousands of files and directories. It can work with pointer files but its a little sloppy!

Hilton

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2015, 05:11:36 am »

Looks like container types are pretty limited in Silverlight.

Most likely MP4.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc189080(VS.95).aspx

MP3

ASF
Audio: WMA Standard and WMA Professional
Video: WMV and VC-1

MP4
Audio: AAC-LC, HE-AAC v1 (AAC+), HE-AAC v2 (eAAC+), MPEG-4 Part 2*
Video: H.264

3GP*, 3G2*
Audio: AAC-LC, HE-AAC v1 (AAC+), HE-AAC v2 (eAAC+), AMR-NR
Video: H.264, H.263

And the current HTML5 support they're playing with.
http://techblog.netflix.com/2013/04/html5-video-at-netflix.html

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2015, 05:17:56 am »

I just imported your stream into MC using the File --> Open URL --> and checked the "Show web media options....".  The resultant entry in the DB (~d=a) entry is as follows:
Media Type = Data
Filename = http://www.netflix.com/WiPlayer?movieid=70307913#trackId=200257859
Name = WiPlayer (what ever that is)

The rest is blank (eg filetype)

When I then "play" this in MC it opens up a browser and plays it (cached credentials)

THanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2015, 05:22:37 am »

OK - if you leave the "File Type" blank then MC will had it off to a browser to play.  I've just tired changing the file type to MP4, M2TS, TS etc etc and then MC will try to play it but then will fail.  You can change the other tags to make it appear in your views etc.
JRiver CEO Elect

Hilton

« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2015, 05:23:17 am »

Where does it show up in the library when you open and save the stream, I cant even find the stream?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2015, 05:26:06 am »

Create a Playlist -> Smartlist using ~d=a (this shows ALL entries in the data base, even bits that are hidden from the other view.  It is very useful!).  You can then sort by filename for example and update / change tags

Here is my view you can import as an example

~d=a ~sort=[Date Created],[Filename],[Stack Tag],[Media Sub Type],[Media Type],[File Type],[Artist],[Name]
JRiver CEO Elect

Hilton

« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2015, 08:31:09 am »

hmmm this is pretty fiddly.

What I'd really like is for the DLNA search to be fixed for PlayOn.
Then we could just browse the PlayOn channels and stream direct to MC20 players.
I can use the PlayOn app to browse all my online media subscriptions and media ques including the whole Netflix library, and cast it to my chromecast.

I think if JRiver want to consider massive broad appeal across the broadest set of online services for the least effort you should consider working on either: A PlayOn plugin, or atleast working with them to get DLNA search working.

I'll continue tinkering but it looks like the only way to get a Netflix library into MC at the moment is the same way some of the other media players are doing it, scrape the data you want with scripts creating pointer files and directory structures and then importing them into MC.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2015, 03:42:47 pm »

While this is thread is a good workaround, I'm still in Matt's camp about how MC can use the API again....
JRiver CEO Elect

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2015, 03:56:09 pm »

Interesting. I would already be very glad if i could scrape netflix metadata to MC and be able to start watching videos using browser from  Theather View. That would be integrated enough for me for now.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2015, 04:08:46 pm »

I guess we need to know what JR's plans are...
JRiver CEO Elect

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2015, 07:26:47 pm »

I use unblock-us DNS spoofing here in Australia too and don't get that error. I run the DNS in my router rather than individual machines. This way I can use the Netflix app on the iPhone and iPad. (used jerry cards to buy Netflix App on a US iTunes account.)

Hmm, I'm setup the same way, are you using Win7 or Win8? My HTPC is still on Win7.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2015, 07:52:35 pm »

Win8.1 for me
JRiver CEO Elect

Hilton

« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2015, 09:07:04 pm »

Win8.1 for me

Same - Win8.1 Pro 64bit with MCE addon

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2015, 01:09:26 am »

FYI - Moved the HTPC to the latest Win10 Build.  Of course there is no WMC pluging for it (yet??)  ::)

Anyway decided to play with the Netflix Metro App and AHK to get navigation working.  So far so good:
- Found a Base Script that converts RC navigation keys to mouse movements for navigation and selection
- Added bits to toggle Screen Refresh Rates between 23.976/50/60 to as Netflix spits all these out but there is no inbuild changer
- Return to MC when finished.....etc etc

.... but for the life of me I can not get MC to launch the Netflix Metro App --> more in this thread if yo have any suggestions.

If I can get this bit working I'll post the results.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2015, 03:23:32 am »

Forget to say that the Latest Version of Win 10 Preview (9926) no longer lets you install WMC, and if you upgrade to this version it will remove WMC.... so the current workaround will no longer work if you upgrade.  Really need to find a RC friendly Netflix method.
JRiver CEO Elect

raldo

« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2015, 03:33:30 am »

I hate to mention it but Apple TV would solve this for you. It hasNetflix and an IR remote.

I use Apple Tv for some free services and I don't have any need for any of Apple's paid services.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2015, 08:00:42 am »

Country Bumpkin in Post #2 of this thread explained he is using a FireTV. I have considered it and a ROKU but not sure if the audio from either could be routed through MC which I need for its DSP. Those devices do have some appeal because of all the different things you can receive on them.

Cheers,
Rod

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2015, 01:51:22 am »

JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up