INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Skip track during secure rip  (Read 1173 times)

carbo

• World Citizen
Feature Request: Skip track during secure rip
« on: November 19, 2014, 08:06:59 am »

I'm currently in the process of converting all my mp3 database into flac. It involves a lot of cd ripping using secure mode.
In this mode if media center can't read a track, it keeps trying "forever" (a lot of retries for each sector). These retries also tend to freeze the computer...
It would be nice to have a "skip this track" button to try the next song. An alternative could be an option "skip a track if more than x sector can't be read"

In addition I have created a custom field "Incorrect Rip" which I set manually when the report says that the secure mode failed for a track. If this action could be automatically done in a system field, it would be great ;)

Guillaume

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Feature Request: Skip track during secure rip
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 10:26:02 am »

I'm currently in the process of converting all my mp3 database into flac.

Are you ripping "fresh" copies of your tracks to FLAC (From original CD) or ripping CD's that were made from MP3's to FLAC?

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 01:24:01 pm »

You can stop the rip and start it up again without that track selected.

I'm not sure if an automatic method is needed.  I so rarely have had a track that didn't read, it wouldn't be worth it for me.

Also, when a track doesn't read, I throw the whole disc away because I'm too anal retentive to let there be a partial album in the library.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Vocalpoint

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 10:14:15 pm »

Also, when a track doesn't read, I throw the whole disc away because I'm too anal retentive to let there be a partial album in the library.

So if you are ripping a early 80's first pressing of a desirable disc and it sticks on a track - you fire it in the trash? Can I come over during the next rip session :)

VP

carbo

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 02:17:54 am »

Yes I'm ripping original cds, ripping mp3 to flac doesn't really improve quality ;)

Matt, my main problem is I think that MC tries "too much" on a damaged track.
I think it could be nice to say "stop you will never succeed on that one"

So perhaps my solution of a skip button isn't a good one: as you say i can cancel the current rip and start a new one.
The problem is MC tend to freeze when the cd is damaged and the only solution is to eject the cd from the drive.

I still think that an option "skip a track if more than x sectors can't be read" could be great ;)

Guillaume
Pages: [1]   Go Up