INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestion: If 2 zones share the same hardware outputs...  (Read 1298 times)

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
  • I love music and great audio!
Suggestion: If 2 zones share the same hardware outputs...
« on: November 13, 2014, 06:48:56 am »

I've got two zones sharing the same hardware device and output path (WASAPI), with the differences being only in DSP settings.

If one zone is playing, and I attempt to play in the other, the "something went wrong message..." is displayed; the current playback continues fine.

I assume this is because the shared device is "locked" exclusive by the first zone, so the second can't interrupt it.

Suggestion:

Whenever a playback command is made: a quick check is done to see if any other zone exists that, a) shares the identical hardware outputs, and b) is playing.

If both a) and b) are met, the other zone is automatically stopped before proceeding.

I'm running 20.0.33 just fine.

Thanks.  8)

Derek Pert
(Windows 11 Pro x64 / 32GB RAM)

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
Re: Suggestion: If 2 zones share the same hardware outputs...
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 07:49:42 am »

You are right. That could be optimized!

It would be indeed nice to give at least a hint, that playback may have failed because the other zone is playing. For me it also would be the ideal solution, if playback would be stopped in the other zone. Not sure if it's the best choice for everybody though... but we'll hear ;)

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 09:33:23 am »

Are you not using Stop rules in Zone Switch?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 09:58:16 am »

Are you wanting to play the same song sometimes in Zone A and sometimes in Zone B? If not and your songs are always played in the same zone there are two ways to make it automatic.

ZoneSwitch - This is found in Player > Zone > ZoneSwitch and allows you to set criteria for where songs are played. For example, you can send one genre to Zone A and another genre to Zone B. You could even create a custom field and just put in the field which Zone you want to use. ZoneSwitch also allows you to control that playback should stop in Zone A if playback needs to start in Zone B.

DSP Presets - In DSP Studio, you can now save DSP settings. For example, you can have DSP A and DSP B with the same setting you are now using for Zone A and Zone B. In the DSP tag, you can specify which DSP preset you want to use for that song. This method requires that you tag all the files with the correct DSP Preset since there is no default setting.

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
  • I love music and great audio!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 06:45:07 am »

Thanks for the detailed and well explained suggestions!

Will definitely experiment with these further.

Probably ZoneSwitch is the best.
Derek Pert
(Windows 11 Pro x64 / 32GB RAM)
Pages: [1]   Go Up