INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Win8 - Connected standby  (Read 2319 times)

Spoonman

Win8 - Connected standby
« on: August 28, 2014, 03:21:47 pm »

Current MC19 user who just recently picked up a Win8 tablet transformer type deal. MC19 runs without a hitch the trouble is that these new tablets don't have a "screen off" mode. They have on and sleep or "connected standby" which is essentially a lower power state with usage restrictions (keeps power usage down). When it goes into this mode the audio playback from JRiver stops. Which leaves me using JRiver to organize my library but having to rely on Xbox Music for playback, which is workable but less than ideal.

The power savings from connected standby over an 8 hour work day are pretty substantial so it would be nice to be able to take advantage of this functionality. Is supporting this anywhere on JRiver's roadmap?

Donald G Lawton

• Recent member
Re: Win8 - Connected standby
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 06:48:46 pm »

I'm almost at the end of my trial period for JMC 20 and an answer to this issue will determine if I shell out the fee for a license.  Does anyone know if this functionality will be added to the next version? Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 01:18:15 pm »

We call SetThreadExecutionState(...) with ES_SYSTEM_REQUIRED when we're playing.  Shouldn't this stop sleep?  It does for us.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 01:34:59 pm »

This has come up before, check out this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91336.0

Win 8.1 tablets are special in regards to how display sleeping works, and there may not be a way for JRiver to effectively bypass this because:

When the display is turned off on connected standby capable systems, all running software (including applications and operating system software) become subject to a new set of activity restrictions. Windows Desktop Activity Moderator (DAM) suppresses legacy app execution in a manner similar to the Sleep state. It does this by suspending all applications in the user session and throttling all 3rd party services to create predictable power usage over the period of idle time. [emphasis added]

My understanding is that means that applications other than "Modern" apps (i.e. win 8.1 appstore apps) are treated as though the system is suspended in connected standby.  

The short term solution: if you need playback to continue try checking the JRiver option to "disable display from turning off during playback."  Other users had good success with that setting.  It will negate some of the power savings (because the screen will stay on during playback), but will allow JRiver to continue playing and you don't have to turn off connected standby off.

Donald G Lawton

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 07:34:05 pm »

Thanks for your quick reply.  Leaving the screen on really sucks up battery. Oh well.  The other show-stopper I've run across is the inability to easily adjust the panel sizes - I have only once been able to grab the panel border with either a stylist or my finger.  As it sits now, when selecting an album in the Albums view, I can't see the song list.  I guess JMC isn't my solution to dumping WMP.  Thanks again. :(

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 12:57:11 am »

As it sits now, when selecting an album in the Albums view, I can't see the song list
Have you tried theater view?
There is a touchscreen skin. I use it on my tablets and really like it.

Donald G Lawton

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 10:02:18 am »

Theater view looks quite usable on my tablet.  Thanks!

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 04:03:54 pm »

It's my understanding (could be wrong) that in Connected Standby reg "non Metro" apps to continue playing audio as well. However, I believe the functionality is handled through special audio hardware. Which means MC would hand off all the files to the chip and it does the rest. MC takes the opposite approach with "owning" the audio stack and trying to "involve Windows as little as possible". The goal is superior sound. So I think this would be a major change in the software and perhaps the design intent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up