INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No upgrade path to Mac?  (Read 3295 times)

Kellyzkool

No upgrade path to Mac?
« on: November 22, 2014, 04:10:03 pm »

I purchased MC for Windows but am now switching to a MacBook Pro. It seems that not only can I not transfer my existing license, but I don't even get an upgrade price to purchase the Mac version. Can this be right? I love MC but if this is the case I guess I'll try to love iTunes!

Thanks for any advice, Kelly

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: No upgrade path to Mac?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 04:19:13 pm »

Unfortunately, no upgrade between platform versions.

But its worth it  ;D. You'll regret using iTunes I promise you that  :P.

Kellyzkool

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 04:48:53 pm »

I'll take my chances. I know of no other software that wouldn't at least give the upgrade price when switching to a new computer. If iTunes isn't the answer, I'll see what other options are out there. Thanks!

I'm happy to pay and support JRiver but treating me as a new customer when I'm only replacing my system is not customer friendly.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 08:47:29 am »

JRiver MC is one of the most useful and valuable software programs you can own.  And its incredibly well supported - for free.  And you don't have to pay a monthly subscription.  And you get discounts for within-platform upgrades.  Oh, and did I mention JRemote - wonderful and also free.   JRiver MC is cheap at full price or even twice that.    So while it would be nice to get something for virtually nothing, think about what you are getting for the price.

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 01:19:57 pm »

I'll take my chances. I know of no other software that wouldn't at least give the upgrade price when switching to a new computer. If iTunes isn't the answer, I'll see what other options are out there. Thanks!

I'm happy to pay and support JRiver but treating me as a new customer when I'm only replacing my system is not customer friendly.

I wonder about that. You are not just changing computers you are changing operating systems. I am not familiar with softwares were you make a purchase for one OS and the product is upgradeable to another OS unless you bought an enterprise license for some softwares and most individuals cannot afford or would not do that.
Believe In Music GR MI 1973 - 2002

jhwalker

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 02:40:06 pm »

I wonder about that. You are not just changing computers you are changing operating systems. I am not familiar with softwares were you make a purchase for one OS and the product is upgradeable to another OS unless you bought an enterprise license for some softwares and most individuals cannot afford or would not do that.

Almost every software these days either gives you a "2 machines, any platform" license or at least provides a cross-platform "deal" when migrating.

For example, Adobe Lightroom lets you run Lightroom on 2 machines (or is it 5 now?), any platform.  And with Photoshop, if you want to move from Windows > Mac, you pay a one-time $9.99 license transfer fee.

I find JRiver's buy it on every platform policy a bit off-putting, as well.  I use Windows PC for work, Mac at home - with the current licensing policy, I have to buy two full licenses for this usage :/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 02:43:56 pm »

Sorry you don't like it, but it took a lot of time and money to port to Mac.  I think it's fair to charge for that work.

jhwalker

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 02:48:12 pm »

Sorry you don't like it, but it took a lot of time and money to port to Mac.  I think it's fair to charge for that work.

Well, I currently own both, and pay for upgrades to both each year.  It just gets really expensive to use my favorite player :/  In a few years, I will have paid for a license for Photoshop  ;)

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 06:20:28 pm »

Well, I currently own both, and pay for upgrades to both each year.  It just gets really expensive to use my favorite player :/  In a few years, I will have paid for a license for Photoshop  ;)

And is not JRiver MC a Photoshop class app?  I think so or not far from it.   You could buy Amarra: $99.00, Mac only, music only - no video; support is extra charge.   So, for the price of their Mac audio only app with no support you get both Mac & Windows versions of JRiver with more functionality.        

jhwalker

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 06:27:05 pm »

And is not JRiver MC a Photoshop class app?  I think so or not far from it.   You could buy Amarra: $99.00, Mac only, music only - no video; support is extra charge.   So, for the price of their Mac audio only app with no support you get both Mac & Windows versions of JRiver with more functionality.        

No, JRiver MC is *not* a Photoshop class app, it's a media player, of the sort that both Microsoft and Apple give away free with their OS.

Because I like the additional functionality I get out of MC, I'm willing to pay a bit more, and I agree a one-time charge of $49 (or so) is appropriate.  I just disagree with the Mac vs. PC licensing and the yearly upgrade fee.  Right now, I'm continuing to pay for upgrades on both platforms (and probably will continue to do so), but I don't have to like it.

Just my opinion.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 06:56:11 pm »

No, JRiver MC is *not* a Photoshop class app, it's a media player, of the sort that both Microsoft and Apple give away free with their OS.

Photoshop may be more sophisticated but MC is not comparable to the media players that Apple and Microsoft give away anymore than iPhoto is comparable to Photoshop.   I elevate MC to near Photoshop class because of its utility, that is it does things for music playback that I can't get anywhere else.    So MC is no more a mere media player than Photoshop is a mere image editor.     It is the qualitative features that set these applications apart and that's worth paying for.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 07:00:27 pm »

This.  

JRiver just spent (and is continuing to spend) a lot of resources on making MC available on Mac and Linux.  I have and use both PC and Mac versions, so I feel your pain - but the current licensing model is what JRiver has decided works for their business model and allows them to make this huge shift.  Ultimately it is your decision on buying the software for both platforms, but I personally feel it is well worth the money to support their continued development on both platforms that I use.

Kellyzkool

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 06:57:12 pm »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this isn't reasonable. Keep in mind that I'm not asking to keep using both, but to switch to a new computer. I think it would be fair to allow me to pay an upgrade fee (that is to allow me to purchase an upgrade but then switch it to the new platform).

For now I will forgo MC on the Mac, and keep my previously purchased copy on my old desktop until it dies. It's a shame because I expect to do my media stuff mainly from the MacBook but won't buy MC unless I really find I can't live with other solutions.

They aren't only losing my future business, but that of the people who frequently ask me to recommend a media tool for their use. Oh well. I haven't taken enough advantage of MC's power to feel it's worth the extra expense, although I'd hoped to become a power user when I finally got a new laptop. I will become an iTunes power user!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 08:11:16 pm »

So it cost JRiver half a million dollars, in round numbers, to port to Mac, but you think it should cost less than $50?

In a few years, maybe.

windhoek

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 01:54:20 am »

Well, how about a discounted price for those who've purchased MC on another platform? :)

Kellyzkool

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 09:48:39 am »

I've worked for software companies and obviously software can not be priced based on how much it costs to develop it (unless there is no competition). When selling, the important thing is to maximize the bottom line - how can I get this customer to spend more, and how can I get more customers to buy?

Obviously, I'm just one example. But in my case, if the upgrade price were available for a new platform, I'd pay it and continue to purchase upgrades. I'd also continue to recommend it to others. For the difference between an upgrade and a new license fee, none of that is likely to happen.

None of it really is the money, it's about customers wanting to feel valued. That's how you get loyalty and that is a priceless commodity in this type of a market, in my opinion. JRiver has made me feel that I'm not valued or appreciated as a customer but rather at the same level as those who haven't ever been a customer and just a short term $$ opportunity.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 10:08:04 am »

None of it really is the money, it's about customers wanting to feel valued. That's how you get loyalty and that is a priceless commodity in this type of a market, in my opinion. JRiver has made me feel that I'm not valued or appreciated as a customer but rather at the same level as those who haven't ever been a customer and just a short term $$ opportunity.
I'm sorry you feel that way, but I hope you understand that we make the best decisions we can.  We do value your business and your non-economic support.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2014, 10:31:50 am »

For 50$ I get MC and upprage path for the future versions. I'm feeling good.
Someone mentioned Photoshop and their $$$-friendly upgrade path. Last time I checked Photoshop was only available for rent and valued 20$/month. I guess everything is relative.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 06:58:20 pm »

if the upgrade price were available for a new platform, I'd pay it and continue to purchase upgrades. I'd also continue to recommend it to others. For the difference between an upgrade and a new license fee, none of that is likely to happen

I understand how you feel, to some degree.  Software pricing has gone through something of a revolution of late.  I, for one, am very glad that JRiver has NOT moved to a Adobe-esque rental-only style licensing model.

However, I am confused about this:

Almost every software these days either gives you a "2 machines, any platform" license or at least provides a cross-platform "deal" when migrating.

For example, Adobe Lightroom lets you run Lightroom on 2 machines (or is it 5 now?), any platform.  And with Photoshop, if you want to move from Windows > Mac, you pay a one-time $9.99 license transfer fee.

That is certainly one example of a cross-platform license, but even that is a change from their original setup (Lightroom only changed to a cross-platform license relatively recently).  And, I don't dispute that some software has moved to a cross-platform licensing model.  But that's still all new, and there are tons of counter examples.

Just a few off of the top of my head:
* Microsoft Office (unless you rent it through Office 365)
* Symantec Endpoint Protection
* Goodsync
* 1Password
* Camtasia Studio
* Adobe Acrobat (boxed versions)

So... While more companies are doing cross platform licenses, not all are, and even those who do, it depends on their business model and how the application was developed whether it is "counted".  I wouldn't say either method is that unusual.

I don't work for JRiver and can't speak for them, but I think Jim explained their reasoning well.  Right now, at least, they fall on the side of "it is a different application developed separately and needs its own license."

I get the hesitation, though JRiver historically has very good upgrade pricing (they almost always have a substantial discount at the beginning of the development cycle for upgrade pricing, so it usually works out to be chump change).  And, once you buy, you are allowed to use it on as many computers (of a particular platform) as you own (so if you have a Laptop and a Desktop, you can use it on both).  All of those applications I listed above are not only licensed per-platform, but they're licensed per-install within a particular platform.  This "high" price only really applies to the initial purchase, and only applies if you switch platforms or use both.

I don't find it that unreasonable.  Would it be nicer for us (as users) if it was cheaper to switch?  Sure, maybe, but the software is cheap for what it does even at full-price $50 to me, so... Meh.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 07:02:56 pm »

Last time I checked Photoshop was only available for rent and valued 20$/month.

That's right.  Current versions of all of the Creative Cloud applications are now rental-only.  If you stop paying, they stop working.  I think you can still buy old versions of Creative Suite in a box, but they haven't been developed in a while now and who knows about support on the latest OS revisions.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up