INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File locations, not editable and perhaps in the wrong places?  (Read 956 times)

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
File locations, not editable and perhaps in the wrong places?
« on: November 24, 2014, 04:27:12 am »

MC20 won't let me edit the location of the Conversion Cache folders.  Unlike other text pathname fields, these won't open an editable box on the screen.  Instead I have to drop the context menu down and set it to None, and then go back and select Custom. 

Also, shouldn't stuff like this be put in the Local folder for a profile, not the Roaming one?  Using the Roaming folder can cause needless bloating of the user's network-synced profile. 

Same thing with Temporary files.  Those really don't belong in a place intended to be sync'd as part of a profile. 

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: File locations, not editable and perhaps in the wrong places?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 05:11:12 am »

Are you trying to relocate the Cache through Tools>Options>File Locations or by moving through Explorer?

My conversion caches are under "C:\Users\MyName\Music\JRiver Conversion Music Cache\" (same for Video and Pictures) not in App roaming (however, I don't remember if I set them up that way or MC choose the location).

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 08:39:51 am »

There's a smattering of files MC stores.  I'd venture few, if any, of them belong in a Roaming profile folder.  For one-user, no-domain setups I suppose it doesn't matter much.  But if there's a domain active it ends up causing delayed login/logout and wastes a ton of netlogon profile storage space.

Same thing with TV Recordings, I could see those really being a problem if there's a profile active.

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 08:52:33 am »

I don't know why the developers set it up as they did.
But you can change most (all?) of the locations at "File Locations" in the Tools>Options section.
Enjoy

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 09:04:05 am »

Right, and I'm posting here to raise the issue(s).  One being that the UI doesn't behave predictably when you want to change the locations, and the other being the defaults are perhaps worth changing to NOT use the roaming part of the AppData folder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up