INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wake on WAN & Asus RT-AC68U or Netgear R7000 - any experience?  (Read 4009 times)

Al ex

• Citizen of the Universe
Wake on WAN & Asus RT-AC68U or Netgear R7000 - any experience?
« on: November 20, 2014, 02:28:54 pm »

I have tried to configure my existing Asus RT-N56U for Wake on WAN for my HTPC. I finally found out that I am in a dead end with this router, as it doesn´t support static ARP-binding, otherwise WoL will only work for some minutes (which it already did twice), but then again loses the configuration of the relation static IP & MAC-address.

So I have identified another routers, which seems to provide me with the Wake on WAN-function for my HTPC and also give me some future proof technology for the coming years - the Asus RT-AC68U

I was also thinking about flashing the router with DD-WRT because of the VPN-functionalities.

Anyone experience with this router?
Wake on WAN with Gizmo works?
General impression of the performance is positive?

Thx

EDIT: I might consider the NETGEAR R7000 as an alternative to the Asus 68

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Wake on WAN & Asus RT-AC68U or Netgear R7000 - any experience?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 04:38:12 am »

I have the Netgear R7000 (AC1900) & have the same problem with static ARP and Wake on Wan.  I haven't spent much effort trying to overcome it.

regards,

Steve

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 08:01:54 pm »

I was under the impression that all of the ASUS RT range could have a static route set in them permanently (well, not sure about survivability over power failures) using a telnet session.

Don't ask me how. I have just read through the method on the internet. I own a Netgear myself.

But if you want to, or already have, upgraded routers, then my point is moot.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Al ex

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 11:46:09 pm »

I learnt that TP-LINK router's original firmware already supports Arp binding, so I ordered an Archer C7, which should arrive today.   Should know more the next days...
Pages: [1]   Go Up