INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatic backup  (Read 1737 times)

Don W

• World Citizen
Automatic backup
« on: November 27, 2014, 02:26:09 pm »

Can someone please explain the rules that trigger auto-backup? I ask because I wanted to restore from a backup taken a day or two ago, but the most recent backup is more than a month old. I'm wondering how this might be possible. The backup location has not been changed.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Automatic backup
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 02:52:52 pm »

It should make a backup every couple days.  Double-check the folder you've configured MC to use.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Don W

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 03:05:31 pm »

Double-checked. The last backup was over a month ago. Positive.

Don W

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 09:59:52 am »

Matt, can you give a short explanation of how it works? What is used to trigger a backup? Are any external services required, like maybe windows task scheduler? Any external libraries? Truth is I am running MC in Windows Server 2012 R2 in Core mode with Audiophile Optimizer. It is kind of an experiment. I understand you are not obliged to support such a setup but any information you can give me might make it possible for me to find a solution for myself. Thanks...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 10:07:52 am »

It might only make the backups when the program starts.  So if you run it for extended periods, it might interrupt the backups.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Don W

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 10:16:16 am »

Well, I do run for extended periods. But definitely not THAT long. I usually shutdown the computer with the hardware button, might somehow interrupt backups?

I see a potential new feature here. Allow user to specify auto-backup interval (daily, weekly, etc.) and time of day when backup should be performed. If scheduled backup is missed because MediaCenter was not running at scheduled time, perform backup at startup. The UI for this could be added to Options -> Library & Folders, which is kind of empty currently :-)

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 12:04:22 pm »

You can make your own backups....File>Library>Backup
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Don W

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 12:11:59 pm »

Of course. But I am in Theater View most of the time, with a remote control.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 12:42:15 pm »

I C....did not know that!
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 12:54:58 pm »

I see a potential new feature here. Allow user to specify auto-backup interval (daily, weekly, etc.) and time of day when backup should be performed. If scheduled backup is missed because MediaCenter was not running at scheduled time, perform backup at startup.

Totally agree. Random backups is not optimal. You can have Windows schedule a backup task on a set schedule, but most people do not know now to do that. An option within MC to schedule backups would be a nice option. I might argument it is an essential option, given the backup facility to do backups is already there.

I did suggest an user scheduling for backups in the 1 Hour new feature thread, but it got passed over.
Pages: [1]   Go Up