INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tinkered with Audio Device Settings, Now MC *and* iTunes Not Working  (Read 1589 times)

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck

I've been experimenting in the last hour or so with various Audio Device options, one of which was "Creative [ASIO]", which I have never used before today.  That option failed to work in some way (don't remember exactly how, but probably no sound), and so I switched the Audio Device setting back to "Default Audio Device [Direct Sound]", which has worked normally—until now.  Now, when I try to play a song in my library, the player display shows the correct information for the song, but it does not play the song.  

While troubleshooting this problem, I decided to see what iTunes would do, and I found that it does the same thing—the title bar display shows the correct information for the song, but iTunes also does not play the song.  

The specific (as opposed to "Default Audio Device [Direct Sound]") Creative SB and Peachtree External DAC Audio Device options using Direct Sound also do not play.  I've used both of these Audio Device options during the past couple of weeks, and they worked normally.  But not now.  

Note that MC *will* work correctly with the the Peachtree External DAC Audio Device ASIO or WASAPI options selected, at which point iTunes also begins working normally again.

Also, I find that when I reboot Windows (7 Ultimate, 64-bit), my machine takes about three times longer than usual to get to the desktop.

Finally, I'll mention that this is not the first time that simply changing the Audio Device options back and forth has caused a problem.  In the three weeks or so since I first installed MC 20, there were two other occasions on which adjusting these Audio Device options cause MC to malfunction/hang in some way.  In both of those cases I uninstalled and reinstalled MC in order to solve the problem.

What is going on here?  Is there some sort of conflict between MC and Windows?  Why was iTunes also affected?  (I've been using iTunes for years and while the iTunes Store has occasionally malfunctioned, the iTunes player has never malfunctioned.)

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Running Win 7, 64-bit, Creative SB X-Fi card, Peachtree 24/192 USB X DAC

George

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Tinkered with Audio Device Settings, Now MC *and* iTunes Not Working
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 12:48:05 pm »

As I indicated above, after MC 20 (and iTunes) began malfunctioning, my PC also immediately began booting up very slowly.  I rebooted several times to see if the problem would just go away, but the slow booting remained.  Given the circumstances—that is, changes to Audio Device settings causing problems with MC 20 and iTunes—I suspected that some sort of audio drivers issue might be causing the slow boot up, and so I decided to uninstall MC 20.  After doing that and rebooting a few times, my PC was still booting up very slowly.  So I then decided to uninstall the Creative sound card drivers.  After doing that, my PC immediately began booting up normally again.  Also, iTunes also began working normally again.  (MC 20 is still uninstalled at this point, so I don't yet know what the effect of uninstalling the Creative sound card drivers will have on that.)

Given that the problem with MC 20 and iTunes, as well as the boot up problem, began immediately after I tried using the "Creative [ASIO]" option in Audio Device, and given that the boot up problem went away immediately after I uninstalled the Creative sound card drivers, I'm speculating that my attempt to use the "Creative [ASIO]" option in Audio Device broke one or more Creative drivers (or something like that).

Can anyone here shed any light on what might've happened here, and why?

Thanks.
George 

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 02:59:55 pm »

So I then decided to uninstall the Creative sound card drivers.  After doing that, my PC immediately began booting up normally again.  Also, iTunes also began working normally again.  (MC 20 is still uninstalled at this point, so I don't yet know what the effect of uninstalling the Creative sound card drivers will have on that.)

Given that the problem with MC 20 and iTunes, as well as the boot up problem, began immediately after I tried using the "Creative [ASIO]" option in Audio Device, and given that the boot up problem went away immediately after I uninstalled the Creative sound card drivers, I'm speculating that my attempt to use the "Creative [ASIO]" option in Audio Device broke one or more Creative drivers (or something like that).

Can anyone here shed any light on what might've happened here, and why?

Thanks.
George 

I can't help explain with what went wrong - but I recommend you create a "Windows Restore" point now before changing a bunch of settings and trying out different solutions.

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 03:59:37 pm »

I can't help explain with what went wrong - but I recommend you create a "Windows Restore" point now before changing a bunch of settings and trying out different solutions.
I've now re-installed the Creative SB sound card drivers, the Peachtree DAC drivers, and MC 20—using the "/NoDriver" switch, because the MC WDM driver is all downside and no upside for me—and have configured MC 20 just as it was prior to the malfunction.  In order to avoid a recurrence of this problem, I've decided that I'll simply steer clear of the "Creative [ASIO]" (or WASAPI) option in MC 20's Audio Device settings.  Everything in my system is now working fine.

Regarding the creation of a System Restore point, I appreciate the thought, but my experience over the years with System Restore and its occasional "side effects" has led me to the conclusion that I'll usually be better off manually uninstalling software (assuming, of course, that I can identify the source of the problem, which I usually can) and/or using Win 7's Advanced Boot Options, so I don't even bother manually creating the restore points anymore.  Also, I think I've got everything the way I want it now (famous last words!), and so I don't expect to be changing these Audio Device settings again.

Thanks!

George
Pages: [1]   Go Up