INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA Video problems. help, please!  (Read 2595 times)

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
DLNA Video problems. help, please!
« on: November 19, 2013, 02:34:02 am »

Trying to get the server onto my new Bravia "smart" tv

I can connect.  I can see all the files.  But I can't play anything.  Video tells me 'video cannot be played' or audio tells me 'audio format not supported' (from the TV).  from MC, when i try and push to the zone it just says waiting... and the screen refreshes, but nothing happens. 

I've messed with all the DLNA settings in MC...I was under the impression that MC converted over DLNA and I should be able to play any format?  Or does the native file need to be in a format accepted by the TV? 

Please any suggestions

EDIT:  i can get all of my audio to work now, including flac which is not supported natively by my TV

but i CAN'T get ANY video to play over DLNA, either pushing or pulling!  Someone has to have a suggestion or even a hint LOL.  i really want to get this working and i can't imagine there is a good reason why i'm not...

thanks

csimon

Re: Mc19 major DLNA problems. Suggestions please!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 05:43:48 am »

MC only converts media if you tell it to. What are the conversion options in your DLNA settings?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 10:16:54 am »

I've tried all the settings, starting with the Bravia recommended settings from the wiki

At this point I've tried every permutation of settings available

I can control and see the media from any source (TV, MC, web gizmo) but can't play anything

i'm not trying to be irritating, normally i don't mind playing with MC and figuring stuff out myself.  i'm pretty handy with 'normal' computer things but DLNA and junk is not something i'm interested in getting good at either.  is there *anyone* who can play video on a Bravia TV out there through MC?

Bert490

• Recent member
Re: DLNA Video problems. help, please!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 06:03:13 pm »

After several hours searching and trying things, I got my new Sony TV to work with JRiver playing HD video.  My TV model is KDL-60W630B, bought last month, and I am using MC20.  JRiver must be configured so the DLNA server video mode is 'Specified output format'  If it is left at the default 'Specified output format only when necessary', then it fails no matter what format is specified (sometimes producing a few colored blocks, sometimes nothing at all).  I left the output format at the default 'MPEG2/DVD NTSC stream'.  None of the 'TS' formats work for me.

I also wanted to allow JRiver to negotiate the format to another player (my original Raspberry Pi xbmc for another HDMI TV works fine with JRIver default settings), so I followed the suggestion elsewhere in the Forum to add a new DLNA server for the Sony, and applied the above setting to this server only.  The TV also has to be explicitly associated with this server.

I would prefer it if my new TV is able to play JRiver TV recordings in their native format (TS), because the above settings require fairly high CPU usage (50% of a Core i5 3 GHz).  But I am happy I finally got it to work.  Maybe Sony and/or JRiver will find the DLNA negotiating problem and a future update will fix this so others don't have this problem.  Gizmo as a remote is fantastic.

--Bert

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 12:18:09 pm »

I've tried all the settings, starting with the Bravia recommended settings from the wiki
At this point I've tried every permutation of settings available

I will send you a PM ..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 04:35:11 pm »

Is "MPEG2/DVD NTSC stream" the best resolution to hope for? I am not well-versed on the different video options and of course want the absolute best resolution I can get when sending video content over DLNA. This has been a problem for me, so I would really appreciate knowing what people have tried and how the quality of the different formats compare.

Thanks in advance.

Bert490

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 08:15:26 pm »

ssands: Note that the format "MPEG2/DVD NTSC stream" is definitely High Def, provided the original file is.  My 1080 files look like 720 on the Sony TV.  I've submitted the diagnostic tool results, and hopefully can soon obtain 1080 playback on the TV.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 12:08:40 am »

ssands: Note that the format "MPEG2/DVD NTSC stream" is definitely High Def, provided the original file is.  My 1080 files look like 720 on the Sony TV.  I've submitted the diagnostic tool results, and hopefully can soon obtain 1080 playback on the TV.
Thanks for the reply. I assumed that the "DVD" in the format name implied a lower resolution, similar to BluRay being Higher Res than DVD.

And actually, I am sending my signal to a Sony receiver which is attached to a samsung TV. Since, in this case, it is the Sony component receiving the DLNA signal from MC, I think it is same sony tech that is limiting things.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 12:28:10 am »

I've submitted the diagnostic tool results, and hopefully can soon obtain 1080 playback on the TV.

Hi Bert. When you say this, do you mean that you responded to my PM? Unfortunately I did not receive anything from you, so perhaps you can try it again?
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

Bert490

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 07:55:31 pm »

Hi Andrew:
I thought I responded but after trying again I now see that the interact forum link in your PM imposes a 12,000 character limit on personal messages, and the diagnostic output exceeds this.  This forum's reply screen has an 'attach' button under '+ Additional Options', however the personal message screen does not allow attachments.  So here it is.
Thanks.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 04:51:16 pm »

Thanks for the report.

I just uploaded a new version of the DMRA tool, which should probably give more insight about the right settings in MC (check the MC Video Settings page).

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 12:26:17 pm »

Thanks for the report.

I just uploaded a new version of the DMRA tool, which should probably give more insight about the right settings in MC (check the MC Video Settings page).

Would it be possible to provide a link to this tool? I couldn't find it, and am interested.

Thank you.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 12:56:43 pm »

Would it be possible to provide a link to this tool? I couldn't find it, and am interested.

Not yet. Please be patient. I am still testing it with selected users who have specific issues.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 02:47:10 pm »

Not yet. Please be patient. I am still testing it with selected users who have specific issues.

Thanks. I'll wait patiently.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up