INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater view for linux - any plans?  (Read 3162 times)

simmonspa

Theater view for linux - any plans?
« on: February 03, 2014, 09:46:43 am »

I'm speculatively looking at jriver, mostly drawn by the beautiful graphics especially theater/theatre (I'm British!) view.  I'd like to run on linux, and I've tried running the linux distribution late last year, can someone from JRiver comment on whether the intention is to provide theater view on linux? 

Apologies if the plans are on the forum, I couldn't find the information anywhere, though the newsletter in January hints at it, it doesn't indicate future plans across the platforms.

Or should I plan to run a small windows (silent) host that can handle the graphics, and have my linux machine as a jriver library server?
Is that a better idea?  Advice appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Theater view for linux - any plans?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 10:18:35 am »

Theater View is only available on the Windows version at this time.  It's not possible to say when it will be on Linux or Mac.

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 09:40:47 pm »

Picked up the Master License with dreams of a raspberry pi running MC20 connected to my TV for Theater View.  Didn't think to look and see if MC for Linux was any different than for Windows.  Duh!

I know you don't owe me an answer, but is there any reasonable chance Theater View will come to MC for Linux in the somewhat near future?  If this were Vegas, what would the odds be?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 07:16:43 am »

Possible.  Not very soon.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 09:15:44 am »

Picked up the Master License with dreams of a raspberry pi running MC20 connected to my TV for Theater View.  Didn't think to look and see if MC for Linux was any different than for Windows.  Duh!

I know you don't owe me an answer, but is there any reasonable chance Theater View will come to MC for Linux in the somewhat near future?  If this were Vegas, what would the odds be?

There also isn't currently an MC build for Arm platforms available, so there's a separate obstacle there to running it on the Pi.   

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 07:31:56 am »

I assumed JRiver for Debian would work just fine on Debian ARM.  But I'm just getting started so I'm sure I'm missing some things.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 08:07:32 am »

I assumed JRiver for Debian would work just fine on Debian ARM.  But I'm just getting started so I'm sure I'm missing some things.

It won't.  Arm's a completely different CPU architecture (actually several architectures) so x86 software (like JRiver) will not run unmodified on ARM devices.  At minimum x86 software needs to be recompiled and optimized for ARM, which is no mean feat in some cases.  That's why Raspbian doesn't have as many packages as mainline Debian, for example; everything has to be ported over.

There is no JRiver build for ARM available right now.  Check out this post for the JRiver linux system requirements (towards the end of the first post): http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=83929.0

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 11:13:52 am »

Any suggestions then on a stick or small box?  The ZOTAC ZBOX (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N82GV5307&cm_re=zotac_zbox-_-83-218-048-_-Product) looks interesting, but maybe a little too expensive.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 03:22:09 pm »

If you actually want to run JRiver with theater view on the box right now, you'll need something like an Intel NUC or something equivalent (like that ZOTAC box) with windows installed.  If you don't mind doing without theater view for the time being, you can get any x86 mini-computer that will run linux and JRiver; JRiver is currently offering such a device for sale, it's called the Id (there's a subofrum about it here). 

Later this year intel is launching a "Compute Stick" that will have an x86 processor and windows preinstalled for about $150, and a linux version with less memory for about $100.  You're unlikely to find an all in one x86 computer for much cheaper than that.   Generally speaking, at the moment, $150-$200 is the floor for an all in one x86 system.
Pages: [1]   Go Up