INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Incorrect location path display when showing Location as Categories  (Read 976 times)

samuelnsh

I've made a Customized View, Viewed as "Categories", with categories shown as a Location on my drive. Please refer to attachment_1.jpg for the setting.

With this customized setting, I could navigate through my music library according to the folder structure in the hard drive, which works well overall. However, there's a problem with the file path shown on the tab.

I will begin with an example with photos, followed by a generic example.
1. As I navigate deeper into the folder structure, the folder path is shown correctly. The actual path is "H:\Classical\Chopin", which is correctly shown as "Locations (H:\) > Classical\ > Chopin\" on the tab. (attachment_2.jpg)
2. If I click on "Classical\" or on the back button to navigate to the parent directory "H:\Classical", it would be expected that "Locations (H:\) > Classical\" should be shown on the tab. Instead, "Locations (H:\) > H:\" is shown. (attachment_3.jpg)
3. Now if I navigate to any child directory, where "Classical\" should have been would always be replaced by "H:\". For example, if I navigate back to "H:\Classical\Chopin", the tab would show "Locations (H:\) > H:\ > Chopin". (attachment_4.jpg)

A generic example to hopefully make the description more clear would be:
Assume that I'm currently at the directory "C:\1\2\3\4\5", and the tab shows "Locations (C:\) > 1\ > 2\ > 3\ > 4\ > 5\"
If I navigate to the parent directory "C:\1\2\3\4", the tab would show "Locations (C:\) > 1\ > 2\ > 3\ > 3\"
If I click on "2\" to jump to "C:\1\2", the tab would show "Locations (C:\) > 1\ > 1\"
If I navigate back to "C:\1\2\3\4\5", the tab would show "Locations (C:\) > 1\ > 1\ > 3\ > 4\ > 5\"

I've only started using JRiver Media Center since version 20 came out, the problem persists from the first version that I used (20.0.something...) until now (20.0.47). I haven't tried to reproduce this problem on another computer due to tight personal schedules, but I hope the JRiver Media Center team could find time to look into this problem and see whether this is a general bug or an individual problem.

I will be grateful for any help or advice you can provide.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Incorrect location path display when showing Location as Categories
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 07:32:27 am »

Hi and welcome :)

Sorry I don't have time to test this in a category view, but I know in a pane view this does not pose a problem with child directories. Their might be some path length limitation for tags, honestly not sure.

However, if this is for playback and not maintenance, do you really want to do this by location? JRiver is a powerful database, it would be very easy to tag these files. That way you would be setting up your views on the metadata not on file properties. Especially for classical music this could get unwieldy pretty quickly, using physical locations that is.

I'll try and test this later when I get home though if you want.

samuelnsh

Re: Incorrect location path display when showing Location as Categories
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 03:57:21 am »

Hi Arindelle,

Thanks for your response. I picked the category view over the pane view because I prefer seeing the graphics. In pane view it sometimes gets annoying to scroll through a long list.

Regarding your suggestion on tagging files, perhaps due to my inexperience with JRiver Media Center, I find it rather hard to maintain a database of music files based on tags. This is due to the different structuring that I use for different genre of music.

Say, for Classical, I usually go with Composer -> Director/Musician (depending on the nature of the music) -> Album Name
But for Pop music, I usually go with Drama/Anime Series -> Seasons (if any) -> Album Name
If the music isn't from a drama, I go with Singer -> Album Name

Due to my different preference for different types of music, I found it challenging to build a data structure that copes with the different conditions, thus the decision on settling with the folder structure organization.

Would you perchance have any suggestions on coping with different rules for different kinds of music, or with dealing with the music library in general?
Pages: [1]   Go Up