INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on MC's ripping features  (Read 1341 times)

JoanRivers

• Recent member
Question on MC's ripping features
« on: December 11, 2014, 10:49:50 pm »

Finding information on this topic isn't easy at this site. Looking at Foobar 2000's site, they seem to have that information right on the home page, and I'd like to know how MC competes with that (I'm assuming that the information on Foobar's site is part of the product and not an ad...the stuff concerning dBpoweramp is what I have in mind.

For the CD ripper in the Foobar suite, it reads:

"Digitally rip audio CDs, securely AccurateRip verified error free".

From what I've read, it compares your rip with others and lets you know whether your rip is error free. I like the sound of that. Does MC do the same? Also, suppose that Foobar's ripper does spot that your rip has errors. Then what? Are you stuck with an inaccurate rip, or can you get an error free version of that song somehow? If the latter, how?

The Foobar suite also mentions removing duplicate copies of songs etc. from your collection. Does that mean that if a song is removed from Album A, you can still hear that song on Album A, so long as you have another album with the same song on it?

On the other hand, curious how any suite would handle various versions of the same album, e.g. The Stooges' "Raw power", which has a David Bowie mix, as well as an Iggy Pop mix, as well as one more, from memory. I wouldn't want to lose legitimate different versions!

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Question on MC's ripping features
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 12:50:35 am »

Finding information on this topic isn't easy at this site. Looking at Foobar 2000's site, they seem to have that information right on the home page, and I'd like to know how MC competes with that (I'm assuming that the information on Foobar's site is part of the product and not an ad...the stuff concerning dBpoweramp is what I have in mind.

For the CD ripper in the Foobar suite, it reads:

"Digitally rip audio CDs, securely AccurateRip verified error free".

From what I've read, it compares your rip with others and lets you know whether your rip is error free. I like the sound of that. Does MC do the same? Also, suppose that Foobar's ripper does spot that your rip has errors. Then what? Are you stuck with an inaccurate rip, or can you get an error free version of that song somehow? If the latter, how?

MC's ripper can rip in secure mode, verifying its read several times to confirm that what it reads is correct. It creates a log to let you know that the rip was error free. It does not compare against a database like AccurateRip. Read errors are rarely ever the same when you read over the same part over and over, so when it comes back the same several times in a row you can be pretty sure its correct. That's the idea, I think at least. I have ripped difficult CD's with different programs in the past and my finding was that once a CD is unreadable, its unreadable with any ripping program. Some are faster than others though, but unreadable remains unreadable and there's no magic to make it work, other than cleaning or trying to remove scratches.

Short of downloading from the internet somewhere or buying another CD, there is no way to get the music on a damaged CD. Maybe there are repair programs but I wouldn't trust those to be honest. It will never be 100% accurate. So ripping programs will tell you it failed or is only 98% accurate. And then nothing. Try cleaning the CD, remove a scratch if that's the problem and try again. Not much else to do, really.

The Foobar suite also mentions removing duplicate copies of songs etc. from your collection. Does that mean that if a song is removed from Album A, you can still hear that song on Album A, so long as you have another album with the same song on it?

You should really ask this on the Foobar forums.

On the other hand, curious how any suite would handle various versions of the same album, e.g. The Stooges' "Raw power", which has a David Bowie mix, as well as an Iggy Pop mix, as well as one more, from memory. I wouldn't want to lose legitimate different versions!

A duplicate isn't a duplicate unless its the same version. Let's say you have the best of Elton John and it contains a couple of songs from a studio album you have as well. Same song, same length, identical in any way. That's a duplicate. MC doesn't remove duplicates, but it can help you find them using smartlists and expressions. If you want to delete them, its up to you. Once you delete the version from the best of album, then its gone (suprise). If you want to listen to that song you'll have to play it from the other album, but you can't listen to the complete best of album including the song you deleted, unless you manually add it from the other album. Before you ask, MC cannot somehow deduplicate your library and create softlinks in place of the deleted track (I don't know but I don't think Foobar does that).

The problem as I see it however is that often duplicates are not quite the same. One if often mastered slightly differently, is more compressed than the other, etc etc. Personally, I don't bother trying to figure out which is the best and which to delete, as it doesn't gain much anyway. It will leave incomplete albums and I don't like that. A typical song is what, 50MB in lossless? How many duplicates would you have? I don't know about other people's library but I suppose if its more than 10% its weird. I get maybe a few percent of duplicates .. see what I'm getting at here? My library is 1TB, if I can free 5GB at most ... so what? It's not worth the fuss. Storage is too cheap to waste the time to figure it out. But that's my idea at least.

JoanRivers

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 10:52:51 pm »

One thing I forgot to ask is this:

If I want to rip SACD or DVD Audio, will MC do that losslessly? I.e. so there is no difference between listening to an SACD or DVD Audio via disc and listening to it via a MC rip?

A typical song is what, 50MB in lossless? How many duplicates would you have? I don't know about other people's library but I suppose if its more than 10% its weird. I get maybe a few percent of duplicates .. see what I'm getting at here? My library is 1TB, if I can free 5GB at most ... so what? It's not worth the fuss. Storage is too cheap to waste the time to figure it out. But that's my idea at least.

I haven't really done the maths on this topic. My HDD will be 1Tb and I'm guesstimating that I have around 300+ CDs. Just assumed that that would take a huge chunk of available HDD space to rip all of my CDs onto them. If I'm wrong on that, glad for your advice. But that's why I'm also asking about the SACD/DVD Audio situation. Haven't looked up any info on this, but presumably downloading albums of this resolution (more likely SACD than DVD Audio, but am also interested in downloading hi-res files too) would very quickly fill up my HDD? Would MC do a good job losslessly ripping these hi-res formats without using as much HDD space?

Sort of related, I have heard that downloadable video games can use up a horrendous amount of HDD space...think I read a figure of some 100 Gb for more than one game. If that's typical for common games, that would obviously have an impact on how use my PC.

re:

You should really ask this on the Foobar forums.

If the feature that I mentioned is common (and shared by MC), then I was hoping for discussion of that feature as it relates to MC, since that is your area of knowledge. Edit in: from memory, this particular question of mine was answered in my first thread on this board, which I posted on the Linux section of this site.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 02:23:11 am »

You cannot rip SACD's on a PC. There are no SACD players for PC's. The only thing that can rip an SACD is an old 1st gen PS3 with its initial firmware.

On average, your 300 CD's ripped in uncompressed wave would amount to 200GB. Using Flac it would come down to 120GB. Using Flac, you can buy an additional 2000 CD's before you run out of space  ;D.

Seriously, install the 30 day trial and start using it. Do the same with Foobar. While people are happy to answer any questions you might have, I don't think more questions will really help you at this point. Try it out, that's what the 30 day trial is for. It will answer a lot of questions.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 04:51:17 am »

Agree with InflatableMouse - get in and get dirty with the software.

To respond to one of your queries, MC doesn't use AccurateRip. It uses its own secure mode that JRiver backs as being as good as.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up