INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture Device Limit?  (Read 979 times)

CreoleLakerFan

Capture Device Limit?
« on: December 22, 2014, 11:44:33 pm »

Hello all ...

Long tine lurker.  

I'm trying to roll a DIY whole-home DVR type solution.  I have been doing research for months and am leaning toward the AverTV cards over Colossus.  From what I read the AverTV cards have the same chipset as the Colossus, but are cheaper, being without some of the irrelevant bells and whistles (IR blaster, etc).  Is there a limit on how many capture devices are supported in MC?  Say I wanted four of these devices, attached to external STB (DirecTV) ... other than hardware/build issues (fitting four in a chassis/mobo, etc), any limitations on number of supported capture devices?

Thanks.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Capture Device Limit?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 11:39:21 am »

There is no limit in principle.  There has been a bug where identical capture devices may not work correctly.  The latest build has a fix on it but I have not gotten confirmation on its effect yet.  This depends on actual devices.  I have not heard about any problem with multiple AverMedia devices (but it maybe only because no one tried it).  If you go ahead with building such a system and encounter problems, let me know.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 11:45:33 am »

I forgot one thing.  You are limited by how many IR blasters you can have.  So you may have to get an extra IR receiver/emitter device.  I have never tried using two identical IR devices on the same computer, so i do not know if that will work  I know however if you use one MCE IR device, and one USB-UIRT device, it will be fine.  You can use two to three emitters on each.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

CreoleLakerFan

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 12:27:36 pm »

Thanks for the feedback!  I'll be sure to let you know if I run into any issues.
Pages: [1]   Go Up