INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Synology Server Package - PLEASE!  (Read 2993 times)

mediafan

Synology Server Package - PLEASE!
« on: January 04, 2015, 02:08:30 pm »

I would be so happy if there was a server package that would run on a Synology NAS.  Just a library server so I can shut off the server PC.  I Love media center, but this would make it perfect for me.  I personally don't care about transcoding, I'd hate to tax the little NAS's CPU, this wasn't what it was designed for.  But, I would guess it could do just fine as a library server for PC's and Mac's.  I'd pay for this functionality no question!

sskings

Re: Synology Server Package - PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 06:24:28 pm »

+1!!

vroom

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 11:04:53 pm »

I would love this.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
  • "Science is not a democracy"-Earl Geddes, Ph.D.
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 07:53:35 am »

I imagine the biggest problem for such a NAS system would be that we still require a minimal Xorg setup, even when running headless. No idea how much of a hassle it would be to set this up on that box, probably loads of complications to get that setup flawlessly, preferably without a lot of manual labor. But an interesting project no doubt.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 07:56:29 am »

I was thinking something along the lines of Minimserver but of course written by JRiver and then an App that can be used like JRemote.  Heck, even JRemote that can be used with Minimserver would be Freakin' Awesome!  Maybe you can push it through!   ;D

There were some remarks about it from Jim on this thread.http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87159.msg623270#msg623270
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 08:00:19 am »

I'm afraid the chances of us writing an entirely new product to run on something like the Synology are rather slim. In time it might be possible to actually get MC itself to run on such a box in headless, but that may still take quite a bit of work ... some day, maybe some day.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 08:05:45 am »

I imagine the biggest problem for such a NAS system would be that we still require a minimal Xorg setup, even when running headless. No idea how much of a hassle it would be to set this up on that box, probably loads of complications to get that setup flawlessly, preferably without a lot of manual labor. But an interesting project no doubt.

There's also the added hurdle that a majority of synology devices (and NAS devices generally) run on ARM processors, and there is currently no JRiver build for ARM devices : http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.php/What_kind_of_CPU_does_my_NAS_have

Currently, you can only even bump up against the Xorg obstacle on an x86/i686 NAS, which tend to be significantly more expensive than the ARM boxes (I think the cheapest i686/x86 synology NAS is $500+).

If JRiver is seriously considering an ARM build though, that would be good news not only for NAS's, but for single board computers as well.

EDIT: But that too is likely, as Hendrik says, a "some day" type thing  ;D

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 08:08:29 am »

Bob has been messing with a ARM build for some time. How close he is to actually letting someone else try it, I cannot say.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 08:08:37 am »

OK, then let's get a JRemote version that will work with Minimserver.  That's shouldn't be too bad.   ;D

My podcast:

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 08:11:29 am »

Bob has been messing with a ARM build for some time. How close he is to actually letting someone else try it, I cannot say.

I noticed it's been in the works (the Raspberry Pi JRMark was a giveaway  ;D ), but Jim's recent comments in another thread led me to believe that it was a "more distant" development goal.  Glad to hear work is ongoing; it would be exciting to see, as it would open up a lot of opportunities for folks to experiment (with NAS's and otherwise).  

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 09:17:04 am »

Currently, the Id is the ideal partner for a Synology NAS. It really should be featured on the main webpage or the network page.
Pages: [1]   Go Up