INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Command line dlna push  (Read 9192 times)

rtarver

• Recent member
Command line dlna push
« on: March 28, 2014, 08:20:56 pm »

All,

I'm on the quest of total media room control and have run into two roadblocks. The one I'm trying to solve here is playing ripped movies via my control software, CQC.

Would it be possible to use the jriver command line option to send a dlna command to my Oppo player?  If that actually works, I might be able to get CQC to generate the command line prompt, and voila, total control.

Thanks guys,

Russ

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Command line dlna push
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 09:21:09 pm »

You should be able to play a file to the DLNA zone, using MCC, so long as the Oppo can accept a push.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 02:48:52 am »

... so long as the Oppo can accept a push.

It can. (assuming it is a 103 or 105 series...)
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

rtarver

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 10:06:09 am »

I have the 103D.  I'm specifically looking to do this via the command line option as I want to use CQC as my browser. I've pushed from MC's browser, but I want to be able to do it via MC's command line. I looked at the commands but didn't see any that looked likely to do this.

It would be great if I could figure out a way. The Oppo is dlna as opposed to upnp.

Russ

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 10:45:20 am »

The Oppo is dlna as opposed to upnp.

Not quite true. The Oppo is DLNA and UPnP ..

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

rtarver

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 12:34:51 pm »

I know it gets grey, and I'm not an expert.  Oppo's email response from their tech support was that they are not upnp, and are considering it for the future. They were fairly clear in that it was not upnp. Fwiw, I was able to get a generic upnp driver from cqc to connect, but it was spotty and kept dropping and reconnecting. Commands didn't work either.  Oppo says they use different ports for various interactions.

What's confusing is that I think dlna is a subset of upnp, and it uses upnp to connect.

Ok.... Been reading some more. It looks like I might be able to do this with the play command and zone option. I think I recall that a zone can be directed to the Oppo.

Russ

MrC

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 01:33:12 pm »

Let's avoid the what is UPNP or DLNA discussion (because that is off-topic, and AndrewFG *is* an expert here).

First learn how to use the MC command line to play a file.  Then learn how to target a specific zone.

DLNA devices will appear as zones in MC, so all you need to do is playback a file targeting that zone.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 01:44:46 pm »

Oppo's email response from their tech support was that they are not upnp.

In contrast to the usually excellent level of tech support at Oppo, in this case the guy really does not know what he is talking about. See next paragraph...

What's confusing is that I think dlna is a subset of upnp, and it uses upnp to connect.

The UPnP standard specification is in some parts very explicit, and in other parts it leaves a lot of freedom to the interpretation of vendors. The DLNA people realised that this freedom could and does lead to different vendors interpreting the UPnP specs in different ways, and thus resulting in interworking problems. So the DLNA wrote a set of guidelines that explain how to interpret the UPnP specifications more precisely. And they also added a very few additional information fields to add precision (for example extensions to the protocol info fields). One of the very first paragraphs in the DLNA guidelines is a specific statement that a device must be compliant to the UPnP certification tests as a prerequisite before it can be considered compliant with the DLNA interworking guidelines. In other words a DLNA certified device must be compliant to both UPnP and DLNA certification suites.

Therefore DLNA is neither a subset nor a superset of UPnP. And so, sorry to say it, but the Oppo guy is wrong...

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 01:48:13 pm »

Let's avoid the what is UPNP or DLNA (because that is off-topic, and AndrewFG *is* an expert here).

Oops. I humbly apologise Mr C but my last post crossed with yours.

But -- without wishing to crow -- you are right on both points above ;)

MrC

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 02:26:00 pm »

No biggie.  I was just hoping to keep rtarver on track with getting to his solution.

rtarver

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 05:25:35 pm »

Thanks guys,

It looks like I may have two paths then. I spent 15 minutes before heading out to run Saturday errands, and did get command line push of a ripped DVD to play on my oppo. I linked the Oppo to a zone, and voila!  Now all I need to do is get cqc to author the cmd line and I should be good. The command line option of exporting the library is also awesome, as I can setup a nightly dump so cqc is relatively current with the XML library.

I'll try and tinker with the upnp stuff some more. I get a sync, but it continually drops and reconnects. I've tested a little (very little) and couldn't get commands to work... they time out on no response from the Oppo.

Still, I'm one step away from automating movie play from within cqc from ripped DVDs.

***Update

I loaded a general cqc driver that can pass command line with parameters. Hard coding the file path seems to get me what I want, though there are issues with play and replace options. I can get things going if jriver is already open, but not from a closed state. Still, one more step forward. Easier would be upnp, but I'll get this going as proof of concept and then go back to upnp and see what I can get.

Russ

MrC

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 09:45:35 pm »

Some of the MC command line switches will not launch MC - I believe these are listed (see Note 1).

rtarver

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 03:51:29 pm »

Still struggling with the Command Line option and have a few questions.  I'll start with the ones below and come back to the well afterwards.

Can I use the zone option and send it to my Oppo directly, or do I need  to link the Oppo to a Zone.  If I have to link, do I link the zone to the Oppo, or the Oppo to the zone?

When the Oppo is playing, using the /Replace command seems to simply restart the Oppo with the existing movie, and doesn't send the new movie.  Any thoughts here?  Transport controls don't seem to work very well either.

If I already have movies in the playlist for a player, a /Play or /Replace command will get the Oppo going, but it doesn't seem to work well if there are no items to start with in the player's (JRiver) playlist.

Russ

MrC

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 04:05:57 pm »

Can I use the zone option and send it to my Oppo directly, or do I need  to link the Oppo to a Zone.  If I have to link, do I link the zone to the Oppo, or the Oppo to the zone?

I don't know what you mean by "directly".  The Oppo is a DLNA player.  You need the controller (MC) to send it via the DNLA protocol.  The Oppo will appear as a zone under Playing Now.  If you've configured multple DLNA servers for MC, you can right-ciick the Oppo under Playing Now and associate the player with the desired DLNA server.

When the Oppo is playing, using the /Replace command seems to simply restart the Oppo with the existing movie, and doesn't send the new movie.  Any thoughts here?  Transport controls don't seem to work very well either.

Video is likely to be less functional than Audio.  I don't have much experience here.

If I already have movies in the playlist for a player, a /Play or /Replace command will get the Oppo going, but it doesn't seem to work well if there are no items to start with in the player's (JRiver) playlist.

What is the exact command you use?

rtarver

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 05:22:42 pm »

Thanks MrC,

Yes, my Oppo appears in my player list.  What I was asking was, can I send the file to the Oppo by using the 'Zone=' optional parameter of the /Play command; such as:

mc17.exe /Play \\Storage\Videos\MenInBlack.mkv Zone=Oppo

or, do I have to link my Oppo to a zone, say zone 2 and then

mc17.exe /Play \\Storage\Videos\MenInBlack.mkv Zone=2

The documentation for command line seems to imply that Zone=n is the expected command.  But that may be my interpretation.

Thanks,

Russ

MrC

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 05:26:04 pm »

The example shows the syntax:    

mc19.exe /Append C:\1.mp3|C:\2.mp3|Zone=3

So, you need:

mc17.exe /Play "\\Storage\Videos\MenInBlack.mkv|Zone=2"

The zone is a zone number, not a name.

The double quotes protect the | character and ensure all the stuff after /Play is a single argument.

rtarver

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 07:36:21 pm »

Thanks,

That solved my issues when working from a cmd window. I'll try and tie into cqc now.

Russ

shepP

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 07:14:39 am »

I'm looking to do the same thing with Mediabrowser Theatre.  How did you assign the Oppo to a zone number?  If you can share any further information you might have figured out would be greatly appreciated!

rtarver

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2014, 08:58:32 pm »

ShepP,

Been a while since I've been here, but I recall there being some right-mouse options when selecting your player.  I also think that if I only had my Oppo on the network, then I could leave out the zone option and it would work.  I didn't have my Oppo linked to a zone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up