INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording direct to ape via MJ 8.0.183  (Read 993 times)

FinylVinyl

Recording direct to ape via MJ 8.0.183
« on: January 23, 2002, 03:22:55 pm »

Hi
I am a little confused, please help.

I have downloaded and installed MJ 8.0.183 into win98 SE with a view to recording vinyl and tape directly into Monkey's Audio APE files, which I will write to CDR. I have a limited time before I have to dispose of my vinyl and tapes, so the idea is to get as much onto CDRW as possible and clean it up etc at a later point. I have downloaded the APE input plugin for MJ 8.0 and gained a "successful install" message.

I am using an Audiophile 24/96 sound card (with phono pre-amp for vinyl), and would like to record at 48kHz/24bit - which I believe Monkeys Audio/APE can cope with. I am hoping I can record directly to APE rather than to WAV and then convert to APE.

This is the main reason I am considering buying Media Jukebox Plus - if I cannot record directly to APE files then it isn't really what I want. I am having some trouble setting this up and have not got too far with the on-line help because of a couple of problems.

First, if I select "Line In" under Tools|Record Sound |Options then the Audiophile card does not appear under recording device. I can however record and adjust volume etc through the associated control panel applet. This card does not seem to use the Windows mixer in any application, so I don't think there is a major problem. But can someone confirm that this card and Media Jukebox do function together properly, and that I can record in MJ at other than 44.1kHz and 16bit?

Second, In the Encoding dialogue I can see no option for Monkeys Audio/APE, and although I downloaded the plugin via the MJ link using the plugin installer I cannot find anything in the MJ plugins folder. Am I going the right way to set-up MJ to write recorded files directly as APE files, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Many Thanks!

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Recording direct to ape via MJ 8.0.183
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2002, 03:31:44 pm »

Make sure you have the right APE plugin installed.  For version 7 or 8, depending on what version of MJ you have.  It should show up in the plugin manager once it's installed.

Then take a look at the FAQ here on recording for details.  There is some trial and error involved.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2002, 04:48:12 pm »

FinylVinyl,

"I have downloaded the APE input plugin for MJ 8.0 and gained a "successful install" message."

I believe you also need the APE encoder to rip to APE.

"I am hoping I can record directly to APE rather than to WAV and then convert to APE."

It does go directly into APE very quickly. It doesn't appear to make a WAV file first.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

JohnT

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2002, 04:12:46 am »

The MJ recorder always records in 44.1khz 16 bit stereo. It feeds wave formatted memory buffers directly to the APE encoder. You do need to install the APE "encoder" plugin.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2002, 04:23:23 am »

I've been having some problems doing this as well, but my problems are different.

If I have Rip & Encode Simultaneously checked, and record something from Line-in, SOMETIMES, MJ fails to import the file after recording and if I go find the file under Explorer I can SOMETIMES find it but it will be unplayable.

If I turn Rip & Encode Simulataneously off, the problem goes away.

I've only had this happen using APE - High, but that's the only encoder setting I use for this task.

JohnT

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2002, 08:38:12 am »

Doof-

Your problem will be fixed in the next build. Thanks for reporting it.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up