INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback Problems - Have to Reconnect DAC to Fix  (Read 1275 times)

Bucky Brown

• Recent member
Playback Problems - Have to Reconnect DAC to Fix
« on: December 27, 2014, 12:23:01 pm »

I'm using JRMC20 with a Windows 7 PC.  My full set-up is shown below.  Much of the time JRMC20 works fine but nit infrequently it stops working and I get a "Playback Problem" error that reads in part "Playback could not be started on the output 'ASIO' using the format '[sampling rate]'."  When I get this error message I notice that my system is going through an extended buffering when I try to start JRMC20.  I can fix this error by unplugging my DAC and plugging it back in.  I was hoping that this is more of a long-term fix to prevent this problem by changing the settings on JRMC20 (rather than having to keep unplugging and re-connecting my DAC).  Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
Bucky

Bucky Brown

• Recent member
Re: Playback Problems - Have to Reconnect DAC to Fix
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 12:30:06 pm »

I forgot to describe my system set-up which is as follows:

Windows 7 PC with Intel i5 processor > Blackcat Silverstar USB cable > Schitt Wyrd (aka "USB decrapifier") > Geek Out 720 DAC > Emotiva Pro Airmotive 5s speakers (via their Control Freak passive volume control)

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 01:03:37 pm »

I'm using JRMC20 with a Windows 7 PC.  My full set-up is shown below.  Much of the time JRMC20 works fine but nit infrequently it stops working and I get a "Playback Problem" error that reads in part "Playback could not be started on the output 'ASIO' using the format '[sampling rate]'."  When I get this error message I notice that my system is going through an extended buffering when I try to start JRMC20.  I can fix this error by unplugging my DAC and plugging it back in.  I was hoping that this is more of a long-term fix to prevent this problem by changing the settings on JRMC20 (rather than having to keep unplugging and re-connecting my DAC).  Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
Bucky

Next time it happens, before you do anything else, check the "device manager" . see if your DAC is still there, even hit "scan for hardware changes" and see if your PC tries to reinstall it.
If that is the case, I believe the powersupply on your PC is on its way.
I have seen something similar to this, PC's dropping USB connected devices when there's something wrong with the PSU.
Otherwise, wait for another answer.
Uncompressed music on PC - Hugo 2 & DX7 pro - Meridian Poweramp,  Sonus Faber Grand Piano

aigenga

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 02:17:00 pm »

I have a similar if perhaps unrelated problem.  I am also using JRiver 20 on a Windows 7 Ultimate PC and if I jump around an album - sampling many tracks quickly, like I was just doing on a test cd the software stops and shows "Buffering..." at the top.  It never comes back and the only way to get going is to let Windows cancel the session and then restart the software.  But even doing that it will happen again rather quickly.  I never had this problem with JRiver 19 or earlier.

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 06:09:45 pm »

try your system for a while without your Schitt, i.e. direct to your DAC.
Your system seems new and PSU problem is unlikely.
Yet my original suggestion still may be correct.
It could be the Schitt that either interferes, or your PC may not like it.

Also it seems you have spent couple hundred dollars on USB cable and USB cleaner only to output it to a headphone DAC (eventhough it is a good one)! you could have spent a little more wisely.
Also as good as your passive volume control is, I challenge you to hear any difference, using the JRiver internal 64bit volume control instead, I even put my money on JRiver volume control.
I am sorry I don't believe in such gadgets!
Any Proper USB cable will also do, but I am not suggesting your cable could be the culprit, unless it is physically loose.
Uncompressed music on PC - Hugo 2 & DX7 pro - Meridian Poweramp,  Sonus Faber Grand Piano
Pages: [1]   Go Up