INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume Leveling  (Read 2302 times)

ddjj

• Recent member
Volume Leveling
« on: December 27, 2014, 05:05:08 pm »

After running "Analyze Audio" on my music collection (around 15,000 tunes), I am still getting significant variances in volumes between tunes.  Volume leveling was checked in DSP studio when Analyze Audio was run, and I confirmed changes to the replaygain_track_gain metadata value for numerous tracks.

My setup:
Logitech Touch to deliver tunes from a media server, using an optical output to the DAC2.
Benchmark DAC2, using balanced analog outputs to the XPA-2.
Emotiva XPA-2 amplifier.
Magnepan 1.7 speakers.

All of my music is stored in FLAC files, most ripped from CDs, but with a good number of both HDCDs and HD files.

I am using Logitech Media Server for playback over my network.  I have the settings on the Logitech Media Server properly set to use "Smart Gain", although I am not sure how much that impacts playback level by the time the file reaches the DAC2 (if any??).

The DAC2 provides three jumper settings for an attenuator on the balanced outputs (0 db, 10 db and 20 db).  Even though the manual suggests using the jumper setting for 10 db or 20 db in "consumer" scenarios, I switched to the 0 db setting because I read the following in the  specs:

Factory Set Bypass Level (at 0 dBFS) +23 dBu (Attenuator = 0 dB)

Even with this change, I still think the volumes vary too much.  But am I at least on the right track?  I need to listen some more, but I do think it is better than it was (I had it at the 20 db setting).

On the other hand, maybe the problem it has nothing to do with with the attenuator setting of my balanced outputs???  Also please note that I originally set all my replay gain levels using dbPowerAmp...maybe that switch screwed something up?

Forgive my obvious misunderstanding of various technical issues (and maybe misspellings)!

Thanks for any help!

Dan

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Volume Leveling
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 05:33:12 pm »

Turn off the smart gain setting on the Logitech.  Why would you want the logitech screwing around with the gain when JRiver is handling that?   As for the Benchmark DAC, the output gain jumpers have no bearing on your issue as those jumpers apply the gain equally to whatever signal it is fed.  (PS - stick with the jumper settings recommended by Benchmark unless your other equipment requires a deviation).  

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 05:55:37 pm »

Volume Leveling works best for tracks from different albums if those tracks are added to a playlist and then played from that playlist.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

ddjj

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 07:32:07 pm »

Turn off the smart gain setting on the Logitech.  Why would you want the logitech screwing around with the gain when JRiver is handling that?   As for the Benchmark DAC, the output gain jumpers have no bearing on your issue as those jumpers apply the gain equally to whatever signal it is fed.  (PS - stick with the jumper settings recommended by Benchmark unless your other equipment requires a deviation).  

mstan, thank you for your comment.  I am only using JRiver to Analyze Audio after I rip it using dbPowerAmp's CD ripper (I used to use dbPowerAmp to handle the R128 duties until the most recent "upgrade" went bad).  I use Logitech's Media Server to send the output to the Logitech Touch, which in turn, sends it to the DAC2.  So where I am confused is doesn't the DAC2's DAC control how the replay gain tags are applied?  Or is that handled at the beginning of the process, by the Logitech Media Server?  It's confusing to me because if the Logitech Media Server handles the processing of the tags, what the heck does the DAC2 do?  And after answering that question, why am I still getting such poor volume leveling results?

I hear you about the output gain jumpers on the DAC2, and have already changed them back to the -20 setting.

Thank you for your patience, and your feedback here mstan.

Dan

ddjj

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 07:37:13 pm »

Volume Leveling works best for tracks from different albums if those tracks are added to a playlist and then played from that playlist.

Thank you for your comment TAO1857.  That's what I have been doing actually, with pretty bad results.  Sometimes I think it's my mix of high definition and redbook flac files; other times I think it's my mix of old (60's, 70's plus lots of more recent music) music.  But none of that adequately explains why I am getting such a poor result.  So my best guess is it has something to do with the "chain" through which my music is processed before hitting the speakers??

Thanks again,

Dan

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 12:49:02 am »

your welcome...I have noticed with the older 60's & 70's stuff they are a bit weaker but with 80's and up as long as their in a playlist it works great for me...hope u find ur issues...
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 09:33:37 am »

...So where I am confused is doesn't the DAC2's DAC control how the replay gain tags are applied?  Or is that handled at the beginning of the process, by the Logitech Media Server?  It's confusing to me because if the Logitech Media Server handles the processing of the tags, what the heck does the DAC2 do?... 

No.   I don't think the DAC2 reads or responds to replay gain tags.   It "merely" converts the data sent to it and provides attenuation for analog output.  While it does have on-board DSP that is apparently only used for the volume control.     

ddjj

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 09:17:04 pm »

So I guess that means the Logitech Media Server/Logitech Touch processes the info from the replaygain_track_gain tags, adjusting the "volume" sent to the DAC2?  As such, my problem somehow relates to how those tags are being processed at the Logitech Media Server/Touch level?

ddjj

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 05:53:11 pm »

OK, I think I figured out at least a part of the problem, but would request input from anybody who might know a workaround.

The Logitech Touch has a setting called "Volume Control".  The instructions for this setting indicate: "You can fix the volume control at 100% if you are using the volume control on your amplifier to control loudness or need perfect digital passthrough. This affects both digital and analog volume."

I have always had this set to fix the volume control at 100%, thinking that by doing so I was forcing the music to be processed using the Benchmark DAC2's dac, rather than the Logitech Touch's dac.  Thereby also thinking that the DAC2 would handle the ReplayGain tags.

It is now very obvious to me, after "unfixing" the volume control, the ReplayGain tags are doing their job.  My question is, given my setup aren't I just passing already "processed" sound to the DAC2, and not necessarily the "cleanest" sound?  I just can't get my head wrapped around this idea of processing the sound twice, by two different dacs.  Can anybody provide an explanation of how this works?  I definitely think the music sounds a lot better when "fixing" the Logitech's volume control, but then I can't have the ReplayGain tags working, so I would like a workaround if at all possible.

Thank you again!

Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up