INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two questions  (Read 1527 times)

iamimdoc

• World Citizen
Two questions
« on: December 27, 2014, 03:44:27 am »

1). I want a powerful enough but silent ( or as near as possible for REASONABLE expense) PC that will let me run JRiver and play SACD iso files plus dsd files.  I prefer Windows.  JRemote will control.

A Mac mini run as a pc would be an option.

Could someone comment on the MINIMUM computer configuration, hardware wise, that should accomplish this task using a NAS for data?  Specifically I am asking about processor level and RAM amounts

2) is it possible to export a library from a pc version of JRiver and import it into a MAC version of jriver (many dsd iso files in the library )?

Thanks

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
Re: Two questions
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 12:11:37 pm »

1). I want a powerful enough but silent ( or as near as possible for REASONABLE expense) PC that will let me run JRiver and play SACD iso files plus dsd files.  I prefer Windows.  JRemote will control.

A Mac mini run as a pc would be an option.

Could someone comment on the MINIMUM computer configuration, hardware wise, that should accomplish this task using a NAS for data?  Specifically I am asking about processor level and RAM amounts

2) is it possible to export a library from a pc version of JRiver and import it into a MAC version of jriver (many dsd iso files in the library )?

Thanks

I am no expert, but if you use an external DAC (which I think you might) then JRiver is not processor/memory hungry, even if you use the DSP like I do. ( not possible if you wanted to output pure DSD).
You may need a fast network connection to your NAS (& a fast NAS!). to make your PC quiet use the largest cooling fans possible, since they spin slower they are quieter, smaller the fan , the noisier.
Also if you do not intend to keep much data on the PC, get a small SSD drive ( not a combo) and replace the standard hard drive, these days they are cheap enough.
Any modern PC will do. BTW I use a simple multimedia windows remote, and it is very handy for simple tasks.
- As for exporting your library, have no idea.
Uncompressed music on PC - Hugo 2 & DX7 pro - Meridian Poweramp,  Sonus Faber Grand Piano

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 01:00:52 pm »

For system requirements, check the wiki under system requirements:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/System_Requirements
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

iamimdoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 05:39:19 am »

Apparently decoding iso files is processor dependent thus I need a more powerful pc then what I have been using (a Computer Audiophile caps 1).

I have looked at the requirements on the wiki but the higher level requirements are based on video performance issues, not audio.

Anyone else have any experience that would be useful?

Thanks

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 06:09:09 am »

The Benchmark tool should be able to provide guidance:
JRMark -- JRiver's Benchmark Tool

According to this post:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92418.msg638162#msg638162
a JRMark of 2000 or more should be sufficient for DSD. I can't speak from experience. Maybe someone else out there can offer practical critique of the 2000 number.

You could use the JRMark thread to get an idea of what PC build you'd need to target.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

iamimdoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 03:34:34 am »

Thanks

Is there a simple answer as to what benchmark can be achieved on a Mac mini with i3, 5, 7 processor or are there too many other variables with hardware that would affect the outcome?

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 05:24:20 am »

You are correct saying that benchmark includes video playback too (irrelevant to you).
I reckon the only benchmark of relevance here is the Math score, and the database.
Hence, my original reply, if you use an external DSD capable DAC, then the processing is done at the DAC, to put things in prespective, I get a Math score of 1900 at work, and I don't have a DSD capable DAC, so JRiver must decode and output in 192KHz to my internal card. It does it with ease, even if I am doing ten other things on the PC at the same time, hence JRiver is not processor hungry! ( and it uses less than 100MB of RAM doing it).
If your DSD iso's are on a NAS, and you are connected to your network through a bad wifi, then there may be glitches.
Don't worry, a lowish core II processor and nominal RAM will play your DSD's.
Just get a used PC with at-least a core II processor 2GB of RAM, get rid of all small fans, get a low speed 100mm (or bigger) fan blowing in, for all your cooling, and you will have a good enough, near silent machine that plays all your music, for little money. If you use it only for your multimedia, then there's no need for antivirus, updates or any other interfering software's either.
Keep your better machines for day-to-day use.
Uncompressed music on PC - Hugo 2 & DX7 pro - Meridian Poweramp,  Sonus Faber Grand Piano

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 12:32:24 pm »

Since you are using JRemote, then I assume you will want JRemote to control the volume and you won't be bitstreaming (unless using an Exasound DAC) . I just tested DSD playback on a Gigabyte Brix with an i7-4010U processor. It played back fine. The JMark score is 2025. 2 GB of RAM is sufficient, but I would get at least 4 GB since it is so cheap.

You can also purchase the Id from JRiver. It comes preloaded with Linux and JRiver, accesses your files on the NAS, and can be controlled with JRemote. I believe it works with most USB DAC's.
Pages: [1]   Go Up