INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can anyone help me finding the right solution?  (Read 3049 times)

Trond-Eirik

• Junior Woodchuck
Can anyone help me finding the right solution?
« on: December 30, 2014, 01:26:38 pm »

Hi

My current setup is:
Man cave*:
- 7.1 speaker setup
- Receiver
- Projector
- Cable TV-box
- XBox One  - this is recently added
- HTPC running Win 8.1, JRiver, Total Media Theater, Netflix and Wimp HIFI
  JRiver is used for my owned movies (in 2D and 3D with TMT as external playback), music and pictures
- Harmony Ultimate universal remote

Living room:
- Smart TV (Sony Bravia with Netflix) - this is recently added
- Cable TV-box
- Just regular remotes (But I do have a spare Harmony One that I'm planning on putting to use here)

Around the house:
- 3 children and a wife
- A number of laptops, one iPhone5, 4 iPads/miniPads (used a lot) and a couple of Android smart phones

Techincal room:
- Server running Windows Vista containing all owned movies, music and pictures. DVD's are stored in folders. Bly-Rays as iso files. TV-series mostly as mkv. A total of about 8TB of data :o

Ideally I would of course liked all my owned media to be available on all devices. However, that is not important. The Kids are usually happy if they have Netflix.
What is becoming a problem is that I would like to use the "Man Cave", but the kids want to watch a owned movie on the TV in the living room - or in worst case, the other way around  :'(
Also, I would like to be able to view for example my own pictures on the TV in the living room. Also, getting access to Wimp is a wish (dont seems to be available as an App on the TV)

So the question is: How would you solve this so that we could use the TV in the living room to also watch owned movies?
(any option goes, including adding new hardware)

* OK, maybe not that much a "Man Cave" as a entertainment center for the whole family ::)... But I wish it to be a Man Cave  8)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can anyone help me finding the right solution?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 02:00:11 pm »

I'm not sure I understand what the problem is. Typically you put a small, silent, HTPC at each TV (you only need one JRiver program for all your computers) then you stream your "Server's content" to each location/room (using, preferably hard-wired, home network). The Server can be located anywhere out of the way.
Am I missing some difficulty?

Trond-Eirik

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 02:40:35 pm »

Adding another HTPC is a option. I assume the server is where all media content is stored.
But is there one JRiver database pr. client, or is there a JRiver database on the server that is shared by both clients?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 03:12:49 pm »

The way I understand it the machine loaded with MC builds a database (in MC parlance, the library) that provides an index to the various file locations.

You could share relevent folders on "Tech Room" that could be "pulled" from "Man Cave" and then served out to a client (provided it can work with a functional protocol). The library on "Man Cave" could point to files on its local hard drive and files back at "Tech Room".

Alternatively, you could load MC onto "Tech Room" (your licence allows "reasonable" additional installs - think of it as a "family" licence) where it could "push" files out provided the devices you've got on your network can "pull" it in via DLNA or other protocol.

You'll need something to act as a client for your "Living Room" setup. "Smart" is a relative term but potentially the Bravia works to DLNA protocol or something useful. You're probably up for a little experimentation there.

One option for your back pocket could be to get yourself an Id and set it up in the "Living Room". Though, I'm not sure how solid the video capability is (can't speak from experience) but that functional aspect is definitely on the development plan for improvement.

... various ways to skin the cat, just depends on how DIY your skill set is and what capability your existing hardware has.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Trumpetguy

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 07:54:34 am »

Adding another HTPC is a option. I assume the server is where all media content is stored.
But is there one JRiver database pr. client, or is there a JRiver database on the server that is shared by both clients?

The database is normally stored on one computer. Store media files on a computer that is running 24/7, then install MC on that and activate (?) the server. Make sure it is set to run on startup. Then you install MC as clients on your other computers and add the server library to "Playing from". As long as all your computers are on the same platform, JRiver allows you to use the same license for all your own computers. Obviously, if your server is running Windows and your client e.g. iOS, you will need two licenses. But the iOS client can still play the contents from the Windows computer library.

By using one server, one library, you will have full, simultaneous access to all local (owned, as you call it) content in the man cave and any client.

If your library is stored on a NAS, there may be some additional fiddling around, but I have no experience with that.

Your setup seems fairly normal to the participants in this forum, nothing odd about it.

Trond-Eirik

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 08:14:49 am »

Thanks!
I will upgrade my server to Windows 8 and install JRiver MC20 on that and start by letting the existing HTPC be the first client.

Trond-Eirik

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 06:00:11 am »

A follow up question:
How will TV work in a solution where you have the MC20 db on a server?
Should I setup TV-tuner on the server or will it have to be one on each client?
I assume that playback, as TMT for blu-ray and so on, have to be installed and configured pr. client. Right?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 06:42:27 am »

A follow up question:
How will TV work in a solution where you have the MC20 db on a server?
Should I setup TV-tuner on the server or will it have to be one on each client?
I assume that playback, as TMT for blu-ray and so on, have to be installed and configured pr. client. Right?

You install the TV Tuner card/devise on the Server machine. All of the client machines will use the Server's tuner (you can have multiple Tuner devices on the Server so you can watch/record multiple channels at the same time). If you are running a Server - Client setup, you will not be able to use any Tuner cards installed on the client. It has to be on the Server.

For Blu-ray playback you just need to have a "rip" of the movie stored on your server. It will play on all the client machines using JRiver MC program (you don't need/want to use any other programs). You just need to have a copy of Slysoft's AnyDVD HD program running when you rip (or play from disk) to remove the copy protection. http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html
Each Client machine has some individual setup/playback choices which depend on how powerful the computer is (for example if you have a weaker client computer, say an i3-2100 with on-board GPU, you would set it up to play movies using RO+Std settings, but if you have a better client computer, say with its own graphics card (like an nVidia GTX 750Ti) you would set the Client up to use RO+HQ video settings. Etc.

Trond-Eirik

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 09:43:59 am »

Thanks CountryBumkin, that was helpful.

I'm about to update the server.
Any thoughts on Windows Server 2012 R2 vs. Windows 8.1 as the platform for the server installation?

The server will mostly only have JRiver, AnyDvdHD, uTorrent.
It will also server as the file storage for all media files.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 09:46:03 am »

If you don't need any of the extra functionality that an actual Server OS would offer, its usually just much simpler and easier to stick to a normal desktop OS.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

CountryBumkin

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 10:02:27 am »

Thanks CountryBumkin, that was helpful.

I'm about to update the server.
Any thoughts on Windows Server 2012 R2 vs. Windows 8.1 as the platform for the server installation?

The server will mostly only have JRiver, AnyDvdHD, uTorrent.
It will also server as the file storage for all media files.

I have Win7 and Win8.1 machines. I use Win7 x64 for the Server. I find it is easier to use and more programs are compatible with it as it been around longer (IMO).
I installed Win8.1 on two client computers, just to be trendy I suppose, but I find it to be a pain in the a$$. I don't like the "OneDrive" which always seems to be in the way, I don't like having to create an account for Microsoft's "Windows Live" (which I don't want or use), and I don't like the desktop/startup, plus it doesn't want to boot up without a system password (I don't need a password protected computer for a home HTPC client).
So in hindsight I would stick with Win7 until Win10 comes out (then wait for the reviews on 10) and just skip over Win8.  The Server 2012 is an overkill, and while I have not used it myself, many posts here report problems getting it work nicely with JRiver - and JRiver does not officially support it.
Good luck.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 10:08:58 am »

I don't like the "OneDrive" which always seems to be in the way, I don't like having to create an account for Microsoft's "Windows Live" (which I don't want or use), and I don't like the desktop/startup, plus it doesn't want to boot up without a system password (I don't need a password protected computer for a home HTPC client).

This is somewhat OT, but since I run Windows 8.1 on a number of systems as well -
- You don't need a "Windows Live" account if you dont want one, it offers you an option for a local account as well
- While you need a password, you can still setup auto-login and disable any kinds of password prompts, my HTPC never asks me for the password I configured there.

Additionally, for video playback in MC, Windows 8.1 is far superior than Windows 7, in my experience anyway, the new desktop compositor in 8/8.1 has far fewer problems and makes for much more seamless video experience for me.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Trond-Eirik

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 10:24:57 am »

I have Windows 8.1 on my current client HTPC. I think that it's a better operation system than Windows 7 is, even if I miss the start menu and don't like the Metro UI much.
Windows 8.1 is FAST to wake up from sleep. That is a really important feature for me on a HTPC. It also seems to utilize the available hardware better than Win 7 and consumes less resources.
I will use Windows 8.1 for any new HTPC I set up.

But this is for the server - and I was about to go the Windows Server 2012 R2 route - but based on your input on setup issues and that JRiver does not official support Windows Server, I have now changed my mind and will go for a Windows 8.1 (Pro or Enterprise) installation.

Trond-Eirik

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 10:33:32 am »

Hmm, there is regular and N editions of windows 8.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-to-n

Seems as if the N editions "N editions of Windows 8.1 and Windows 8 don't include media-related technologies like Windows Media Player or Camera".
For a server I would like to have as little extra stuff as possible, but is this stuff that I will need for running a server version of JRiver?

On the server, should I go with a N edition or a regular edition?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 12:22:41 pm »

Additionally, for video playback in MC, Windows 8.1 is far superior than Windows 7, in my experience anyway, the new desktop compositor in 8/8.1 has far fewer problems and makes for much more seamless video experience for me.

Thanks for the feedback. This is good to know.

For OP, maybe you can find a deal (or wait a little longer) where you buy Win8 now and get a free (or discounted) upgrade to Win10 when it's released. I recall the introduction of Win 8 was done something like this for the early adapters (although that might have only applied to buying new computers with preloaded OS).

Trond-Eirik

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 02:08:19 pm »

Thanks for the feedback. This is good to know.

For OP, maybe you can find a deal (or wait a little longer) where you buy Win8 now and get a free (or discounted) upgrade to Win10 when it's released. I recall the introduction of Win 8 was done something like this for the early adapters (although that might have only applied to buying new computers with preloaded OS).
Licenses is no problem due to my work.
Hope to get this done today - but currently I have run into an issue where I seems to be unable to get the Windows install to load from the DVD (the install starts to load from the DVD, but then some error codes flashes over the screen and the computer just reboots). Hopefully it's just a bad DVD. Hope it's not an issue due to me having like 10 discs in that old rack, or some other hardware related stuff...

Trond-Eirik

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 03:28:05 pm »

Hmm, seems that the problem was that my hardware is so old that it did not support a x64 install.
Used a x86 DVD, and then the setup loaded with no problems.

I guess it is the CPU that is not x64 compatible (the motherboard is not that old, but the CPU was reused from an older computer).

Trond-Eirik

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2015, 04:35:08 pm »

You install the TV Tuner card/devise on the Server machine. All of the client machines will use the Server's tuner (you can have multiple Tuner devices on the Server so you can watch/record multiple channels at the same time). If you are running a Server - Client setup, you will not be able to use any Tuner cards installed on the client. It has to be on the Server.

For Blu-ray playback you just need to have a "rip" of the movie stored on your server. It will play on all the client machines using JRiver MC program (you don't need/want to use any other programs). You just need to have a copy of Slysoft's AnyDVD HD program running when you rip (or play from disk) to remove the copy protection. http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html.  
Each Client machine has some individual setup/playback choices which depend on how powerful the computer is (for example if you have a weaker client computer, say an i3-2100 with on-board GPU, you would set it up to play movies using RO+Std settings, but if you have a better client computer, say with its own graphics card (like an nVidia GTX 750Ti) you would set the Client up to use RO+HQ video settings. Etc.
If I'm ripping from the client to the server location, I have concluded that I would not need neither AnyDVD HD or a iso mount tool (like SlySoft Virtual CloneDriver) on the server, as all mounting and playback will be done from the client.
Is this correct, or am I missing something here?

Hmm, what about DLNA? Would that require the server to be able to mount?

dean70

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2015, 01:00:25 am »

Your Sony Bravia Smart TV may already have a DLNA Client - does it show up as a zone under playing now on your "Man-Cave" JRiver MC when switched on?
Pages: [1]   Go Up