INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC hangs when update pending **Not the updates**  (Read 2059 times)

pubare

• Recent member
MC hangs when update pending **Not the updates**
« on: December 06, 2014, 10:49:30 am »

I'm 99% certain this is a system specific issue, but not sure where to start looking...  Every time there is an MC update (stable channel) "queued" / downloaded and ready, the MC interface (Theater View) ends up hanging (usually when starting a video) to the point that I have to reboot - end process / end process tree will not take it down.  After reboot, the update installs normally and everything is fine.
This started at some point with the 19 version, but I reinstalled Windows 7 (pro, x64) shortly after 20 came out (I had "demoed" too many media apps while figuring out what I wanted / needed, things were too jacked up from leftovers).  So I'm assuming it is related to my common / custom Windows install settings / routine.
No antivirus on the system, but UAC is enabled (without screen dimming), running account is an administrator, video mode is set for exclusive full screenin MadVR (slightly tweaked Red October HQ settings).  Since the video isn't actually playing yet, that _shouldn't_ be causing it, but I'm guessing it is related to UAC somehow.
Hardware wise, the only things I can think of possibly related are the nVidia GTX 750 (344.48 driver, used for audio on Video playback as well) and Echo Juli@ (1.16 ASIO driver via SPDIF for music playback).  I've done my best to keep the set-up as simple and basic as I can.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC hangs when update pending
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 12:33:22 pm »

That's such a stinker of a problem.

There's just nothing happening when an update is ready.  I guess there's an Action Window showing, but why would that matter?

Is it only when you play a video that the problem surfaces?  Is there any other action that triggers it?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 05:21:54 pm »

Bump.  I'd love a little more information.

Thanks.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 06:41:38 pm »

I have noticed something along those lines as well, but had concluded the update was more of a red herring than the cause.  So MC happened to hang and cause me to relaunch, which then caused MC to install a pending update.  My MC experience is almost 100% in theatre view, so I wouldn't notice the update available dialog without a restart of the application.

My opinion is that this was more prevalent in early 20 builds, but 20 seems to be hanging less in the recent builds, so I haven't noticed it as much.  That confirmed for me that it was more of an issue that MC became unresponsive and an update just happened to be available.  My two cents...

For what it's worth, if it is systematic, I am also running Win x64.

pubare

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 08:22:57 am »

Part of it is I never see an "update available" notification.  That I can remember it has only happened when I go to Watch or Play a video file - it will either do nothing at all (like a button was not pressed), or the screen will go black like it is about to start playing.

And yes Hoyt, that is also certainly a possibility, but I'm not covinced it's a red herring because the correlation is too strong.  I suppose I need to turn on logging, but man, that'll be a PITA to dig through...

pubare

• Recent member
Re: MC hangs when update pending **Not the updates**
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 07:12:26 pm »

Well, hoyt was correct and it proves once again the value of correlation...  All day watching movies with my daughter and her friends, just did it again.  Doesn't _appear_ to be a hardware / driver, digging through the log, when / if I can figure it out, I'll post back.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 08:04:57 am »

I'm trying to replicate this and having a bear of a time.  A new beta build just went out and I have Media Center downloading it and saying "An update is ready to install."

And I play a video with no problem.  I started in Standard View and Theater View.  Both without trouble.  I played an image without trouble.  I played a song without trouble.

Agh!

pubare

• Recent member
Re: MC hangs on video start
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 09:55:35 am »

Apologies for the complete lack of response, been a crazy week (month).  Matt, from my last post and paying more attention to it the last week, hoyt is correct about the update being a red herring.

I always run in Theater View with video set to match frame rate in full screen exclusive mode.  Note that it is a hang and not a crash, but the hang is so "complete" that end process / taskkill -f won't bring it down, I have to do a full restart (and nothing shows in Event Viewer).  Unfortunately, I cannot determine the issue causing the hang in the log files - they all have the same "pattern", but I'm missing the problem in the log or it's not showing in the log.  An 890 line "snip" from one of the logs from the time I selected the video in the grid to the time of reboot is attached.  172.24.2.2 is the MC PC (HDMI connect to Marantz AV7701 -> Sony LCD TV), 172.24.2.74 is my wife's Win7 PC running Windows 7 WMP (though not actively playing media at the time).

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 10:00:27 am »

Are you using Theater View in Full-Screen Exclusive mode, or just video playback (via Red October HQ/madVR)?
If the former, it doesn't really offer an advantage and is known to be unstable in some situations, so I would advise to turn it off.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

pubare

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 10:23:39 am »

Apologies for the lack of clarity, I had forgotten Theater View could be run exclusive itself.  Theater View is full screen, Video _playback_ is Exclusive via RedOctober HQ / madVR.

Also kinda odd how the only explicit error I see in the logs ("CHTTPRequestMessage::ReadPreamble: Failed to read Method") appears to be mostly related to DLNA issues in V17 and below...  I'm assuming that bug is long squashed, and I've never had any issue with network playback.

pubare

• Recent member
Re: MC hangs when update pending **Not the updates** "Solved"
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 12:09:41 pm »

It appears to be the exclusive mode for video playback causing the hang, I changed it to "Overlay" after my last post and it has not done it since.  Likely an nVidia driver issue, but not one I have the time to "debug" since there is an easy work-around for this non-essential function.

Thanks for the reads.
Pages: [1]   Go Up