INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing to library  (Read 1627 times)

nubsmith

Importing to library
« on: January 02, 2015, 06:44:07 pm »

I recently installed MC 2.0 and ripped my CD collection to an external hard drive.  Everything was fine until today.  MC will not recognize or access the library.  It had to import the files and left me with no album or artist distinction... just a list of 8500 songs.  Any suggestions on how to import all the info?

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Importing to library
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 08:36:53 am »

too many variables to give you any help, as it probably has something to do with your autoimport setup and other configuration options. Could also be that your external drive has spun down or a related hardware problem .. make sure the drive is seen by windows.

Please make sure you have read this http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Import   - if you still have issues, post back again ok?

nubsmith

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 09:34:42 am »

Thanks for your reply.  I got MC 2.0 the same day as my ext. HD.  I set up a blank library on the ext HD and ripped all cds direct to the library.  Both ripping and play worked perfect.  After shutting down my computer overnight, I opened MC to find no files in this new library.  I checked thru windows and they are all still there with folders listed as Artist/Album/Songs.  Each song will play thru MC, 1 at a time.  I then decided to Auto-import this folder back into the library.  What I got is one giant album, "Unassigned" with all the songs present.  All the location/ file details of each song is present but they are not separated by Artist or Album or Genre, nor is any of the cover art present.  Is there a way to separate these back into indivdual albums,etc.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 11:35:08 am »

Check out the "Fill Properties from Filename..." tool. it's under Library Tools when you right click on a file in the Standard View. You can create a template based on your file structure (such as Folder, Artist, Album, song name) then select as many files as you want (hold the cntrl key while selecting individual files, or use the lasso tool) and that will fill in the Tags.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 11:40:44 am »

If what I'm reading is correct, you put the library on the external drive as well? Not really recommended to do it that way.

I have a feeling MC "couldn't find" the library after rebooting and created a new one. That is what you are seeing. If you point to the one on the external drive it will open it. However I would suggest moving it to a local drive. It's fine to have the audio files on an external drive but you could (as you have seen) run into issues putting the library there.

There are also backups that are automatically created. Look in the Wiki for information. You can restore to one of those if you still can't find the original library. You could also change your settings to have them stored on the external disk if you wish.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 11:41:38 am »

I recently installed MC 2.0 and ripped my CD collection to an external hard drive.  Everything was fine until today.  MC will not recognize or access the library.  It had to import the files and left me with no album or artist distinction... just a list of 8500 songs.  Any suggestions on how to import all the info?

The drive letter Windows assigned to the external drive may have changed.  This applies to any files that MC expects to find on the external drive: the library database files and the music files themseleves.

You can tell Windows to permanently assign a specific drive letter to an external drive.  (It can't be a drive letter that is currently in use.)

nubsmith

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 11:46:41 am »

Many Thanks to Countrybumpkin.  Your advice worked.  Now if I could only get the Track#s reassigned.  All songs on albums are in alphabetical order.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 12:59:02 pm »

If you follow the other advice given, you will likely be able to get your entire old library back. Also, if you fail to listen to some of that advice, you will likely be doing this all over again the next time you unplug your external drive and plug it back in in another port...
Pages: [1]   Go Up