INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Sort in Theater View using "custom" field?  (Read 1222 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
How to Sort in Theater View using "custom" field?
« on: January 03, 2015, 10:09:10 am »

Is it possible to set up a sort by "Custom" (Custom is a built in MC field) field in Theater View?

I have setup a Theater View (under Movies) called "History" where I have all my documentaries and history related movies/shows. I want to display these in Theater View by the actual dates of the events rather than sorted by name.

For example, "George Washington's Crossing of the Delaware" should be sorted by "1776", which come before "Lewis and Clark's Expedition" in "1804". Etc.

I used the MC field/tag "Custom" to manually enter these dates, and set the "Set Rules fro Display" to sort by the field "Custom", but MC will only sort by the name of the movie, it ignores the new field Custom.
How can I get Theater View to sort using (the built in) Custom field? or is there another way to do this?

Thanks

CountryBumkin

Re: How to Sort in Theater View using "custom" field?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 11:27:47 am »

bump.

I'm thinking the "Custom" field provided by MC is just for displaying information and can not be sorted by MC in Theater View since the data one enters there could be numeric or text, and MC doesn't know which so it doesn't know how to sort it.

If this is the case, what other field can I use to get the sorting I would like for my historical movies/documentaries (as described in first post)?

Thanks

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 10:57:47 am »

bump again.

Well, MC seems to sort okay using the "Custom" field on my work laptop (a simple stand-alone setup with a few files/movies) so there must be something about my main home setup that is keeping Theater View from sorting using the "Custom" field.

I guess I proved to myself that it will work if everything else is setup properly. I'll dig into this deeper when I get home.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 11:03:48 am »

Sorting by arbitrary fields only works in "File" views, not in Category views. So if you use a category to group entries (like a Series or Season view or something), then you cannot sort by arbitrary fields anymore, and only the sorting thats setup the the Category Dialog is actually used.
The reason you cannot sort categories by arbitrary fields is that one category entry could stand for an unlimited number of tracks, with an unlimited number of values in this particular field, and sorting by a "list" of values becomes rather unintuitive very quickly.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 11:16:46 am »

Thanks for explaining.
Pages: [1]   Go Up