INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help in creating a smart list  (Read 1536 times)

trcns

• World Citizen
Need help in creating a smart list
« on: December 03, 2014, 01:27:39 pm »

I want to create a smart list with following
Media type: Audio
Number of songs: 2000 (What if have 1500 songs that matches the criteria)
Artist: Various
Do not repeat, once played until the playlist ends
First play the songs never played before
Do not play Fast beat and hard metal songs (How can I list to play soft music? smooth rhythmic music, problem is it falls under several different Genre, can be pop, jazz, some times new age, EZ listening)

I tried from the examples but got stuck
[Media Type]=[audio] ~mix=2000 ~nodup=[Artist],[Name] ~sort=[Last Played] ~sort=[number plays]

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Need help in creating a smart list
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 01:56:49 pm »

your ~mix expression is a good place to start

to solve the "tempo" or "mood" issues you have a few options....

tag all of your music with a "mood" and/or "tempo".  use "BPM" (an automatically calculated tag if you analyze audio).  or, make a new tag (for example i use sub-genre) that is a list type and give it all the tags you want

for example (i use sub genres, although i do tag mood sometimes)

[Media Type]=[Audio] [mood]=[atmostpheric] ~mix=1000 ~nodup=[artist] ~sort=[last played],40%,{[Sub Genre]=black},40%,{[Sub Genre]=doom},20%,{[Sub Genre]=noise}

which will give me "atmospheric metal" with the percentage of sub genres i want...because i have the "black" sub genre in metal and in ambient, this will give me a playlist that has some ambient, noise, and metal tracks even though they all have much different Genre tags

trcns

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 03:55:31 pm »

Can please clarify few more things?
So how do I run BPM?
Which set of command say "Do not repeat, once played until the playlist ends"
and "First play the songs never played before"

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 04:25:48 pm »

BPM auto tags when you run analysis (select tracks, library tools>analyze audio)

if you don't have shuffle on, the songs won't repeat (i'm unsure of what else you mean by this)

honestly i'm not sure how to organize to "never played before"...i'll have to think about it (something like isempty[last played]?).  hopefully in the meantime Arindelle or someone will step in, i'm sure they would know offhand, i've just never done it

it should be noted, that if you make a smartlist, it will change every time you close and open it based on your ~mix.  if you want the smartlistlist to stay the way it is, you need to save it as a playlist

trcns

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 05:21:47 pm »

I was able create a smart list as suggested. I set the ~mix=100, with ~sort=[lastplayed], hopping that once it plays a track, smart list will drop it and will rebuild with new set of song which were not played before. But it's keep repeating them. Why?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 08:53:42 pm »

honestly i'm not sure how to organize to "never played before"...i'll have to think about it (something like isempty[last played]?).  hopefully in the meantime Arindelle or someone will step in, i'm sure they would know offhand, i've just never done it

The Smartlists will generally never repeat identical tracks, so this is somewhat unnecessary.  If you make a ~mix for 2000 tracks and you only have 1500 possible matches, then MC will make the total list shorter than the 2k tracks specified.  It will never repeat identical tracks within a Smartlist (at least, not without some serious elbow grease).

So, that's generally not necessary.

If you want the list to go on forever, then you'll have to restart it periodically with a script.  Then, of course, it will possibly contain duplicates (because each "start" of the Smartlist will recalculate the results).  You can add a "not played today" criteria (Last Played is less than), of course, but you could eventually end up with no tracks available to fill the list at all, of course.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 08:57:09 pm »

All Smartlists are "calculated" only once, when shown.  Once you play them, they become "static" (the Playing Now list is a fixed, sequential, traditional-style playlist).

The only type of "randomized playback" that auto-recalculates as you go is Radio/Play Doctor.  You can prevent duplicate Plays in these by adding a Last Played is not last 24 hours rule to the Radio/Play Doctor search, of course.  But those are the only types of lists that auto-calculate as they go based on past behavior.

Smartlists are searches.  They change when you refresh the view of the list, but if you play them, that "incarnation" of the list becomes static.

Hope this makes sense.  I had some beer, so...  :-\
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up