INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wake on Lan from Windows MC client? (Solved)  (Read 1783 times)

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Wake on Lan from Windows MC client? (Solved)
« on: August 24, 2014, 09:35:37 pm »

I have set up my MC server so that it goes into standby when it is idle but this can be a problem if I start a MC client because it doesn't wake the server up.
I have got around it by using batch or vbscript to check for server availability and then send a wake on lan magic packet to the server and then launch the MC client.
However I was intrigued by a post on the MC19 forum (http://yabb.JRiver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91229.0) where somebody is using JRemote to send WOL packet to a MC server, is this functionality in the Windows MC client? (if it is I can't find it but it wouldn't be the first time I've missed an existing feature)
If it isn't would it be possible to have this functionality added in a future release?
I know a lot of people run their servers 24/7 but I prefer to save power these days by having the server up only when it is doing something useful.
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Wake on Lan from Windows MC client?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 12:36:37 am »

MC normally sends WOL packets from clients to wake the server. I don't know why it is not working in your case. You might want to check your router settings.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Wake_on_Lan

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: Wake on Lan from Windows MC client?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 06:40:13 am »

Thanks for the reply BryanC- it does indeed work IF you use the Access Key to connect to the server.
I have always used the IPaddr:52199 format to connect clients to the server so was not getting the Magic Packet sent to the server.
As I said in my OP it wouldn't be the first time I'd missed an existing feature (only been there since MC16-lol) :-[
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: Wake on Lan from Windows MC client? (Solved)
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 03:10:14 pm »

Hmmm, maybe this is something that could be added (if possible) for those that use IP:port instead of access key?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 03:19:50 pm »

I think the problem is that the WOL magic packet needs to know the MAC address of the sleeping machine, and that information is bundled into the access key info along with the IPs.  To allow WOL with a direct IP connection, you'd need a way to provide the MAC address info as well.

That said, I would also be glad of a way to WOL from a direct IP connection without using an access key if it could be easily implemented.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 03:49:52 pm »

I think the problem is that the WOL magic packet needs to know the MAC address of the sleeping machine, and that information is bundled into the access key info along with the IPs.  To allow WOL with a direct IP connection, you'd need a way to provide the MAC address info as well.

That said, I would also be glad of a way to WOL from a direct IP connection without using an access key if it could be easily implemented.

Agreed.

The clients could cache the MAC.  Obtaining it once connected should be a simple matter.  And the MAC address won't ever change (at least, not very often at all, short of a VM-based server or hardware failure/migration).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 04:43:31 pm »

It sounds like you guys have a handle on the problem.  The MAC address is stored with the Access Key, but not stored by itself.  We need the MAC address to do a wake on LAN.

It seems like using an Access Key is an alright solution to me.  Thoughts?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 05:14:53 pm »

How about a manual config dialogue if you choose the IPaddr:52199 method e.g enter MAC address of server here if you want WOL.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 09:08:45 pm »

Pre-MC16 I used to use a batch script to send out a magic packet whenever MC was started and every 30 minutes thereafter while the process was running. I think it was the Depicus utility that had a command line WOL.

csimon

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 02:09:11 pm »

Just adding my thoughts here too. I'm running into the same problem - using IP address to load the server library but the client isn't waking the server up. I'm not using access keys to connect as there is unreliable internet here, also the JRiver server has been known to not respond occasionally, and the fallback method of last IP address used doesn't always work and also causes a delay. Also, I would never want remote access from outside which is what the access key would be most useful for.

So I would like to second the request for a MAC address when defining the IP address.

WoL is working OK on my network as JRemote has always been able to wake the server up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up