INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why is JRiver with ASIO exclusive?  (Read 1318 times)

iNcontroL

Why is JRiver with ASIO exclusive?
« on: March 24, 2015, 03:48:52 pm »

I'm not sure if I just have it all wrong, but I thought the advantage ASIO had over Wasapi was that you could listen to other things (In my case my video game) while listening to music using ASIO. To further prove this, in my previous Windows 8 install I was running JRiver with ASIO on my X-Fi Titanium HD sound card and could listen to my games, skype, and youtube while the music was running. However, after I've installed my new Sound Blaster X7 with a new Windows install I've lost that ability. ASIO is giving JRiver exclusive control just like Wasapi would.

Is there anyway to change this or do I have to use Direct Sound?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Why is JRiver with ASIO exclusive?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 03:56:42 pm »

ASIO is supposed to be exclusive, but isn't implemented right with some drivers. This was the case with the X-Fi drivers. You have to use Direct Sound to get mixing of audio from multiple sources.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 03:59:34 pm »

the exclusivity of ASIO has little to do with JRiver and a lot more to do with your device / driver.  most devices / drivers don't support multi client, i don't know about yours specifically

you could go into player>playback options and check your device settings...make sure that the "open device for exclusive access" is unchecked

iNcontroL

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 04:04:37 pm »

ASIO is supposed to be exclusive, but isn't implemented right with some drivers. This was the case with the X-Fi drivers. You have to use Direct Sound to get mixing of audio from multiple sources.

Oh... That makes a lot of sense, I've never encountered a buggier software than Titanium Drivers. Thanks for correcting me. Guess I'll just switch to Direct Sound when I don't want exclusive.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 04:16:31 pm »

The easiest way is to add a new zone and choose to copy the existing zone's settings. Set one zone for ASIO or WASAPI and the other zone for Direct Sound output. Switch to whatever zone you want to use at any given time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up