Devices > JRiver Id -- Hardware by JRiver

New Intel HDMI stick quad-core Atom Bay Trail 2GB Ram USB and microSD

(1/10) > >>

Hilton:
Interesting opportunity for cheap MC20 and Id HDMI zones on every TV in your house.

MC20 on a stick. Windoz 8.1 or Linux Ubuntu available ;)

Revealed at CES 2015, the $149 Intel Compute Stick is a Windows 8.1 computer in the slim body of an HDMI 1.4a dongle media streamer, like the Chromecast or Amazon Fire TV Stick. A quad-core Atom Bay Trail processor powers the Stick, accompanied by 2GB of RAM and 32GB of on-board storage. A micro SD slot allows you to expand the meager storage, a USB 2.0 port provides a slot for peripherals, and while a micro USB port supplies the power, Intel aims to fully power the stick through the HDMI connection in the future. Connectivity is provided through 802.11bgn WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0, and Intel will also include an HDMI extender.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/196912-intel-compute-stick-transforms-any-hdmi-screen-into-a-desktop-computer

jmone:
I had the same thoughts ....

JimH:
Nice.

The RAM and disk are both big enough.

Information on Intel site

jmone:
It could be a good MC on a stick option and you can get both a Windows and a US$89 Unix flavour is even cheaper.  It should have the same sort of performance as the current ID in general but looks like it is Fanless so that will please a lot of users.

Downside is due to the size there is stuff not built in, like LAN, IR, and Analogue Out Audio.  All of which could be added via the USB port (but you then defeat the purpose of such a small stick as you could even end up with bits hanging off it and even a USB Hub if you need 2 or more devices).   I was keen that this could be a replacement for the Original ID but without an Analogue Out it may not be the best answer.  That said, I'll buy one to play with!

newsposter:
There are other compute 'stick' solutions that has Pi-like i/o shields including some high-res audio shields.

Also don't discount the possibility of using current-gen USB audio sticks along side (on top of?) these new compute sticks.

With MC/Linux, the possibilities for a MC 'stick' are almost endless.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version