INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: You tube sound and also ASIO in another zone  (Read 3318 times)

bobkatz

• World Citizen
You tube sound and also ASIO in another zone
« on: January 14, 2015, 04:52:34 pm »

I finally figured out how to get YouTube to play through my Win 8 JRiver Convolved system (feeding a Lynx AES-16 card). It was trial and error, so any of the following settings could be screwed up:

In Windows, previously I had all audio devices disconnected, but apparently the only way to feed JRiver with YouTube (or any integrated browser ?) into the audio system I had to enable the Lynx AES-16 as the default device in the audio system. The maximum I can set is 7.1 but really I need a custom interface because the output of JRiver convolver (using Acourate filters) is 8 channels. It can play up to 5.1 source material plus it feeds a low pass crossover to the subs in the other two channels.

I set JRiver to use Wasapi (trial and error, remember). I was able to engage the convolution filters as I usually do. And they seem to be working. But I have to manually turn off all but the left, right and low pass to the subs because You Tube is stereo only. Although it appears to be feeding information to the surrounds, they're duplicates of the main channels.

Good start: at least it plays stereo sources from the internet, and it's in lip sync! The sample rate is switching automatically nicely. When playing you tube with WASAPI through windows sound, the Lynx switches to 48kHz. When playing ASIO audio files, JRiver and the Lynx switch automatically depending on the sound file. So it looks like enabling the windows default sound device has not hurt basic functionality. My question is: Does having the Lynx as a default device in Windows sound control panel screw up sound quality in any way of my main ASIO playback? In other words, when I switch JRiver to ASIO is the route through Windows sound effectively and completely muted?

Playing 5.1 from Windows with my convolver would be far more complicated. I would need an 8 channel path from JRiver into Windows and to perform straight routing with no bass management in Windows because JRiver takes care of all the filtering and bass management.

bobkatz

• World Citizen
Re: You tube sound and also ASIO in another zone
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 05:15:09 pm »

Well, it can't be working right. All my assumptions were wrong. When you play a browser in JRiver the sound goes direct to Windows without any JRiver routing. The woofers were getting full range and they WERE NOT being routed through the convolver. DSP studio is NOT doing anything. So I set Windows control panel configuration to NOT full range. And that should make the woofers a bit more even. But I'll have to adjust levels manually in Windows.

This windows sound thing is a definite compromise. It would be nice to make a plugin so that the browser's sound output would be routable to JRiver as an audio source so I can use the real convolver and DSP studio.

bobkatz

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 05:19:12 pm »

So I set up Windows to use bass management but loudspeaker levels don't seem to be controllable... it's an amateur system at best. Or let's say, for those defending windows sound, that it's a rather rigid and not sufficiently flexible sound control system, compared with the totally flexible in JRiver.

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 05:30:33 pm »

have a look at WDM: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92593.0

Set WDM as the default driver in Win
Use JRiver to play to the Lynx using the "output" of WDM

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 05:38:40 pm »

You can play YouTube directly from JRiver in Standard View > Video > Connected Media or Theater View and it will use JRiver's audio and video engine so convolution can be used with perfect lip sync. The only problem is that YouTube limits the output to 720p and some YouTube videos won't play.

It would be nice to make a plugin so that the browser's sound output would be routable to JRiver as an audio source so I can use the real convolver and DSP studio.
Already done.  :) Are you using a recent version of MC20? These will install a JRiver Media Center WDM driver. You can set this as the default sound device in Windows Control Panel. Now all system sound, including browser audio like YouTube, will be routed through JRiver and its convolution engine.

3 buffers to play with to reduce latency when using the WDM driver:
ASIO driver buffer
Live Playback Latency Buffer:  Tools > Options > Audio > Advanced > Live Playback Latency as low as possible and
JRiver Buffer:  Tools > Options > Audio > Device Settings

The convolution files really need to be very low latency like the Minimum Delay XO in Audiolense.

bobkatz

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 11:50:52 am »

Thanks, Mojave. So far, I have serious latency issues with this. I'll try the additional buffers you mention. But I fear the extra long filters created in Acourate may just be too much for this mode  :-(. Even so, I could abandon the convolver and create a home-built crossover within JRiver which I've done before and it would probably be satisfactory for YouTube playback "fidelity" after all.

I'll play with this further and report back here.

Bob

You can play YouTube directly from JRiver in Standard View > Video > Connected Media or Theater View and it will use JRiver's audio and video engine so convolution can be used with perfect lip sync. The only problem is that YouTube limits the output to 720p and some YouTube videos won't play.
Already done.  :) Are you using a recent version of MC20? These will install a JRiver Media Center WDM driver. You can set this as the default sound device in Windows Control Panel. Now all system sound, including browser audio like YouTube, will be routed through JRiver and its convolution engine.

3 buffers to play with to reduce latency when using the WDM driver:
ASIO driver buffer
Live Playback Latency Buffer:  Tools > Options > Audio > Advanced > Live Playback Latency as low as possible and
JRiver Buffer:  Tools > Options > Audio > Device Settings

The convolution files really need to be very low latency like the Minimum Delay XO in Audiolense.
Pages: [1]   Go Up