INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound playback question  (Read 1616 times)

Sosha

• Recent member
Sound playback question
« on: January 17, 2015, 01:12:59 am »

After upgrading to 20, I noticed something very different in the behavior of MC's playback, and I am not sure when it started because I upgraded from 19 to 20 just recently and it looks like there have been numerous changes, and bug fixes since then.  

So, when I am playing music from MC, no sound will play from ANY other source, like YouTube, Bandcamp, games websites or any other webpage that has sound and I know it used to.  I know this because I used to listen to music, and play video games on a games website where sound is necessary.  Also, lets say I wanted to pause playback for a minute or so to review a song on YouTube or Bandcamp, you can't do that without completely stopping playback, not pause, but STOP it and when you restart MC starts that song over again. Do I need to make changes in my settings to allow for this?   ~Thanks~

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
Re: Sound playback question
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 05:26:42 am »

Once you give MC exclusive control over your sound card, for as long as MC is up, no other source can use your sound card, and it is not a bug, it is meant that way.
MC takes exclusive control over your sound card in order to output the best sound quality.
Solutions:
Change your Audio Device to default instead of WASAPI or ASIO - MC will output to windows mixer, you loose quality, but everything works. (not good)
OR
In your windows control panel, choose your default audio device as JRiver media centre, you will have quality but may have other problems ( interrupted playback etc.)
OR
Get another soundcard (possibly an audiophile one) and add it to your system, get MC to output to that. Then get a set of speakers and connect to your existing sound card.
Uncompressed music on PC - Hugo 2 & DX7 pro - Meridian Poweramp,  Sonus Faber Grand Piano

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 06:28:53 am »

Or....My pc has 1 sound card my monitor is actually a 20 inch vizio tv. My set up is hdmi goes to my amp and then passes the video portion to the vizio (monitor), my mini sound plug goes out of pc to the vizio. this allows me to listen to MC via my amp and i can listen to vids or what ever i choose thru the vizio speakers at the same time MC is playing. or with a few quick clicks I can reverse it....pretty sweet hey....
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 03:47:35 pm »

I wouldn't undo exclusive control personally and especially outputing to the window mixer sort of defeats the purpose of using JRiver.

With version 20 you now have two options.

• The manual way, which was the same in prior versions, is simply to push the stop button on the player. MC can be up and running, but if an album is loaded, or a song is on pause, you will not have any sound. Pretty simple.
  • Or the new WDM driver .. read up on how to configure it and choose it as the default driver in windows. Setting it up in a separate zone will allow you to switch automatically between external streaming and playback from your library. The benefits are many, but especially that you can use the dsp studio to clean up the audio and use eq and such for internet streaming.

Read up on how to configure this first, you will have to sync the audio and video before. This is explained in detail in the main WDM thread.

Sosha

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 12:37:47 am »

Thanks for your responses, I appreciate it. 

Once you give MC exclusive control over your sound card, for as long as MC is up, no other source can use your sound card, and it is not a bug, it is meant that way.
MC takes exclusive control over your sound card in order to output the best sound quality.
our existing sound card.

I do get it now, and see why its necessary to give control of sound to MC.

I think this will be my best solution:

Or the new WDM driver .. read up on how to configure it and choose it as the default driver in windows. Setting it up in a separate zone will allow you to switch automatically between external streaming and playback from your library. The benefits are many, but especially that you can use the dsp studio to clean up the audio and use eq and such for internet streaming.

Thanks for the help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up