INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photos- Can MC change the filenames of photos in a playlist?  (Read 1399 times)

pat1066

• World Citizen
Photos- Can MC change the filenames of photos in a playlist?
« on: January 19, 2015, 02:14:25 pm »

I have a playlist called "Morocco" containing photos with different filenames e.g. nicepic.jpg, IMG-103.jpg, morocco7.jpg etc. Can I, within Media Center, use it to change all their filenames to e.g. 2014-Morocco-001.jpg, 2014-Morocco-002.jpg, etc. I could then recognise them more easily in e.g. Windows File Explorer/ My Computer.
If so, how, and could I determine the sequence of the renaming e.g. from the order in the playlist. What if the same file is in several different playlists?
MC 20.0.57 Win8.1 Pro
Pat.

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Photos- Can MC change the filenames of photos in a playlist?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 02:59:29 pm »

Sure once you choose the playlist, then on the right side highlight them all by clicking on the actual file name hit ctl a (to highlight them all) then hit F2 (this will open up all the file names to be adjusted, all you need to do then is to rename the one at the top of the list)now this will change the file name in the order the playlist is in....do a few as a test in a sudo playlist so you know whats going on and or get the right click down....be very very careful
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

pat1066

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 03:34:59 pm »

Sorry TAO but I can not follow that. If I highlight all the files in column view by Ctrl+a then all the columns are highlighted and F2 has no effect (If I right click then the Rename option is greyed out unless I only highlight a single file.) Did you mean that I should rename each file one by one?
Pat.

pat1066

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 03:58:00 pm »

Ah! Got it, thanks! I was working on the "Filename" column not the "Filename (name)" column!
Pat.

~OHM~

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 04:01:14 pm »

it's not what i thought....forget what i posted.....sorry
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

~OHM~

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 04:05:00 pm »

I'm worried that i steered you wrong....as the test i just did, did change the name but did not give it a # after the changed named...as i was expecting like with windows....no i don't have pic files to test this on so if your getting the results you wanted than great....let me know...thanks

pat1066

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 08:04:23 am »

No, you were right! It works fine. Just like Windows.

In the Details view, select all (or whatever part of the list you want) then in the column headed "Filename (name)" right-click the first entry and select "Rename" F2 from the menu. Type in the new name (with the filetype e.g. .jpg) and hit return. After you accept the warning, it renames the files you selected with the new name and adds sequential numbering in brackets.

AFAIK It only works on the "Filename (name)" column - as you say, on other columns, it does not append sequential numbers.

Note: If the files you select in the playlist are in various different folders on the computer then the same sequential numbers will be appended to the files in each folder i.e. you get folderA/name(1) , /name(2) ..... /name(n) and then folderB/name(1) , /name(2) ..... /name(n)
That is, you get identical filenames but in the different folders as the sequential numbering starts again at (1) in each computer folder.
Pat.

~OHM~

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 09:58:03 am »

I'm glad and relieved..lol..it worked out and thanks for posting the rest of the story...
Pages: [1]   Go Up