INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSD to DSD conversion  (Read 2154 times)

barocu

DSD to DSD conversion
« on: January 20, 2015, 10:40:10 am »

How does the converter works when converting from a dsd to dsd? It converts through PCM? And what happens when using DSP effects? For example gain in equalizer.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: DSD to DSD conversion
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 10:50:22 am »

If you bitstream, the DSD passes through untouched.

If you don't bitstream, there's PCM stage in the middle that's 64-bit and high sample rate that handles all the effects.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 11:38:34 am »

Matt - in another thread it was said that converting a dff file to a dsf file went through a PCM conversion. Is that in fact the case? If I understand correctly, both formats have the same data chunk, so it would seem that just changing the header would not require a PCM conversion. This becomes an issue since some DSD downloads are in dff format and most people would not want a PCM conversion to simply convert to dsf to add tags. Thanks for your insight.

barocu

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 12:43:51 pm »

If you bitstream, the DSD passes through untouched.

If you don't bitstream, there's PCM stage in the middle that's 64-bit and high sample rate that handles all the effects.

Matt, I was talking about converting, not about playing. For example DSD256 in DSD128.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 01:14:20 pm »

Matt - in another thread it was said that converting a dff file to a dsf file went through a PCM conversion. Is that in fact the case? If I understand correctly, both formats have the same data chunk, so it would seem that just changing the header would not require a PCM conversion. This becomes an issue since some DSD downloads are in dff format and most people would not want a PCM conversion to simply convert to dsf to add tags. Thanks for your insight.

We have a PCM stage in the middle of the format converter.  I don't recommend it for DSD to DSD conversions.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

barocu

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 02:11:03 pm »

Thanks for the clarification, it's all I wanted to know.

dean70

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 03:33:12 pm »

maybe a direct DSD->DSD or SACD->DSD conversion (aka "bitstream") without the intermediate PCM stage could be considered?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 04:25:37 pm »

Unfortunately, such a conversion does not fit into MCs current architecture at all, so the chances are rather slim.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up