INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plugin no go/ error on MJ7 plugin, can't remove MJ8 completely  (Read 1398 times)

recklessabandon

• Recent member
  • I want to be able to replace all my home entertain stuff with my computerPESTmusic
Plugin no go/ error on MJ7 plugin, can't remove MJ8 completely
« on: January 21, 2002, 09:34:13 am »

I have a Nomad IImg. It worked fine under MJ7.2 although MJ always showed the dos filenames as in xxx~.mp3 vs the track title. I tried to install MJ8, got the playback problem as I let the install delete the 7.2 system; deleted 8, cleaned the registry of all enties pointing to the J Rivers folder, deleted the J Rivers folder, re-installed 7.2, updated it, installed 8.180 over 7.2 and played with it (this, after 3-4 hrs of trying other stuff). I installed the nomad plug-in for mj8, it didn't work at first, but eventually I downloaded the latest driver from Nomad and it maybe worked. At least the "co open" error msg went away. I tried to download some songs, but all I could get was "songs in queue", couldn't figure out how to get them to actually transfer. I seemed to have MJ7 help files (ie, no help for how to kick them from the queue to the device and no mention anywhere of MJ8 as in "whats's new/fixed, etc.",
And, my soundcard driver seemed to be messed up, music sounded waaaay over amp'd, full of pops and distortion, like playing a file recorded using Dolby DBX without the Dolby decoder. I tried removing 8.180, installing 8.? (the update file) and re-installing 8, but that just restored the "no playback device" problem; so I removed MJ8, re-cleaned the registry, re-delted the J Rivers folder, removed the Creative WDM driver, re-booted, re-installed the WDM driver, re-booted, and re-installed MJ7.2

BUT, now I can't get the handheld plug-in to install/work. the plug-in for 7 downloads and then gets a install error. The plugin for 8 downloads and installs ok, but the nomad doesn't appear. It seems the MJ8 install put something in a shared folder or somewhere where it's hiding and needs to be removed. I have a backup, and if this is the case, I could restore the file. but I have to know what to delete both from shared files and the registry. I'm giving up on MJ8 for awhile. I didn't like the changed setup (what happened to the "burn-proof" option?, lack of ability to customize the toolbar, lack of a rel 8 help file, the playback soundcard mess, part of which also seems to have stayed with the re-install of 7.2! I'm still hearing obvious distortion and pops on playback of files that used to play fine.

How do I fix this? how do I completely remove MJ8? and restore MJ7? My restore from backup doesn't work as it appears to "logcially or" the registry and files, so unless I know what to delete, running the restore is a waste of time. And this has already cost me 10-14 hours!!!! HELP

doug white
further

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Plugin no go/ error on MJ7 plugin, can't remove MJ8 completely
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2002, 11:09:32 am »

It's a holiday in the US today so you won't hear from Steve until tomorrow, but I suspect the nomad plugin for version 7 also needs the older version of the Nomad software.

Reverting to 7.2 should just be an installation of 7.2, but it sounds like you've gotten that far.

Version 8 and Nomad should come together this week.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

recklessabandon

• Recent member
  • I want to be able to replace all my home entertain stuff with my computerPESTmusic
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2002, 02:32:39 pm »

good news/bad news - the good being that something, possibly simply using the nomad manager to play some MP3's (it's that weird, and wasn't just from a boot, as I did several hundred of those) fixed my distorted sound problems with my current config of MJ 7.2. the bad being that early on in the process, before I loaded the new nomad driver from Creative, I tried to revert to 7.2 and re-install the plug-in with the same errors; ie: the plugin for MJ7 gets and install error and fails; the plugin for MJ8 installs, but doesn't work. AND, I deleted the plug-in library and re-created it from my backups, still didn't fix the problem.
btw: I'm running win2k sp2 with all updates as of 11/2001, current vers (within a month) of all 3rd party drivers, bios, etc. I had deleted (months ago) RealPukebox, RealPlayer, RealOne, EzCD, Creative PlayCenter all for the sake of getting MJ's CDDB to work and have not re-installed them. The system is SCSI based, SMP w/2x667hx PIII's.

doug white
further

Steve

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2002, 05:28:26 am »

Creative issued a revamped SDK that I utilized for the v8 Plugin for Nomad. As part of this restructure, there are new drivers for Nomad that also must be used for v8. In order to help you find your way out of your problem be sure as you test things that if you decide to run MJ v7 that you use only the Plug-in for v7(v 2.0.18) and then be sure to install whatever drivers are necessary to get Creative's PlayCenter running properly.

If your only concern were getting your Nomad working, I would recommend version 8 because with version 8 you get to install Creative's stand alone drivers which I have much more confidence in than the countless iterations of previous drivers which I have no control over.  

It sounds like you are committed to going back to 7. If this is the case and you have the v7 (v.2.0.18)Plug-in installed and MJ cannot find the Nomad, you have a driver issue.  Let me know if all this is the case and I can try to make some recommendations on how to get the correct drivers.

Steve

recklessabandon

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2002, 01:06:11 pm »

Steve - the Nomad problem is only a minor irration, I use Nomad Manager which is a Creative supplied app that does nothing but play files, load them  to the Nomad and "manage it". It doesn't try to be a jukebox ala PlayCenter which is a joke compared to MJ.

I'm staying away from 8 due to the playback problems (sound quality, pops and distortion) and because my install (from: remove 8, hand clean registy, install 7, update 7, re-install 8 w/o allowing install to remove 7) left me with a vers 7 help file, I couldn't see how to try the transferr to the nomad (which may of worked) and I didn't see how to get my customized toolbar back and these 3 things, the biggest of which was the messed up sound, moved me back to 7.2.
From the numerous reports of "no playback device found" on a straight install of 8.180 and the fact I had that problem, got rid of it by installing without deleting 7 but subsequently had sound quality problems; it seems you either have a real problem in 8 talking to the sound card or more likely, a build problem. The is very likely as one user reported 8.180 that was built on prior versions of 8 was working very well for him. Then he had to start over for reasons unrelated to MJ and lost all versions on his machine. He reported he downloaded 8.180, had the "can't find playback device" problem, then removed 8, installed 7.2, re-installed 8 and had sound quality problems. My experience was identical except I never had 8 working. Time wize it's too costly for me to install 8.183 and hope the build is fixed, I'm waiting for a definitive notation that "not finding playback dev" is fixed".

doug white
further

JimH

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2002, 01:15:36 pm »

recklessabandon,
It seems a little reckless for you to extrapolate from problems you see to such a negative characterization of an entire build.  The "sound quality, pops and distortion", for instance have not been reported by many (if any) others.

The playback control problem was real, but we believe it was fixed in build 183.  Calithumpian still sees a problem, but it may or may not be the same problem.

This is a very complex thing that the JRiver team is doing.  It will help if you keep your reports simple and factual.
Jim Hillegass

Steve

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2002, 05:00:07 am »

Doug,

If you are still having trouble getting your Nomad connected to version 7, other users have had success with the following..

"Whenever I got that message, I had to reinstall the Creative drivers for the Nomad II and the Nomad Manager software"

You could try this and see if it helps.

Steve

recklessabandon

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2002, 10:36:16 am »

Jim, my background is 40 years of computer programming, including being a Senior Engineer for Amdhal, a Customer Engineer for IBM, working for several software vendors, owning my own company, producing and distributing my own software product and too much more stuff to mention. What I mean by a build problem is that you have all the right stuff, things are working but you failed to get it all on into distribution file. This hardly damming or non-specific, or un-common.
You'll note I mention all the products, including EZCd for which I paid for the delux vesion, a combined investment of over $200; I've dumped, because I feel MJ will take the place of all these products, is and will do a better job and hasn't sold out to media interests ala Real. I have an investment in MJ and will point out problems and things I think will make it a better product. I apologize if my tone is too harsh and will try to consider you feelings. Please condider mine.

thanks,
doug white
further

JimH

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2002, 10:47:46 am »

Fair enough, Doug.  Thanks.
Jim Hillegass
Pages: [1]   Go Up