INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album Cover art does not transfer to converted files  (Read 973 times)

Acidicheartburn

Album Cover art does not transfer to converted files
« on: January 22, 2015, 08:28:05 pm »

I'm trying to convert my entire library of CD's from .wav to FLAC using JRiver MediaCenter.  The conversion process works great except that the cover art does not follow the converted songs from .wav to FLAC in the JRiver library..

When I convert my album library, I would like to use the built in options to "Convert to same directory as original files" and "Replace original file on disc and library", but if I do that I'll lose all my album art attributed to each song and album.  At the moment the only way I see being able to convert all of the .wav's to FLAC and keep the album art is converting to FLAC while leaving the original .wav's and then manually copying the cover art to the new FLAC files (surely an incredibly tedious process).  Please note that all of the CD albums were originally ripped using Windows Media Player for Vista, and I am on Windows 7.

I have read online that FLAC supports Covert art in tags, and I do have "Also store image in the file's tag" checked in the options for Cover Art.  Is this currently an issue/unsupported feature with JRiver MediaCenter or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,

~Alex

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Album Cover art does not transfer to converted files
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 03:30:48 pm »

The problem is that wav files don't store album art in tags and thus identifying the appropriate cover art must be filename based.

However, three are ways around this. You can convert all of your wav files to flac in MC and then update the existing database location (pointing at the wav files) to point at the flac files. The album art should then be 'linked' to your new flac files and you can store them in the tags, alongside the files, or in a separate directory. Use the "find and replace" field in the rename, move and copy tool to replace ".wav" with ".flac".

You can also just convert to flac and then use covert art>quick find in file/cover art directory to pull in the existing art, but you won't retain other metadata (like rating, playcounts, etc).

Acidicheartburn

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 10:09:35 pm »

Thankyou for your response.

I actually just updated JRiver MediaCenter to the latest version and the cover art does seem to be transferring to the new FLAC files, now, unlike before.  I am able to use the options "Convert to same directory as original files" and "Replace original file on disc and library" along side "Also store image in the file's tag" and have the cover art stay with the FLAC files.  Sorry if I wasted anyone's time, but I am happy this wonderful software is working like I want it to again.

Thanks,

~Alex

Acidicheartburn

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 10:23:22 pm »

Edit: The post I responded to was deleted.

~Alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up