INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any way to burn a playlist in a specific order?  (Read 1625 times)

martyk

• Recent member
Any way to burn a playlist in a specific order?
« on: January 23, 2015, 09:07:49 am »

I have a playlist of 500 songs that I would like to burn to a DVD.  I have tried a number of ways
to drag to the burn list, but they never burn in the order desired.  Is there some way
to get the list to burn in desired order?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Any way to burn a playlist in a specific order?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 11:32:45 am »

This doesn't really make sense since the 'burn order' of songs is of zero consequence. Playlist information (custom ordering) is stored in playlist files alongside the media. File display (the order in which the media is shown) is based on the display settings of the device that is reading the disc.

If whatever you are using to play the files cannot read playlists (highly doubtful) then you would need to +1 this thread in order to be able to append the sequence number from your custom playlist to the beginning of the filename.

But really, you should be using playlists.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 11:44:04 am »

If whatever you are using to play the files cannot read playlists (highly doubtful) then you would need to +1 this thread in order to be able to append the sequence number from your custom playlist to the beginning of the filename.

But really, you should be using playlists.

What about the CD/DVD player in the car? I'm pretty sure mine doesn't read playlists (although it does have a "random" feature).

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 11:47:28 am »

Highlight from the bottom of the playlist to the top, then drag the playlist to the burn area...or highlight from the top of the playlist to the bottom....can't remember which, but I think it's the first....now i have never done such a large playlist....you also may have to do smaller chunks of the burn process to get the results your looking for...do a test on a smaller playlist and see what happens...there is a test mode...
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 11:53:04 am »

What about the CD/DVD player in the car? I'm pretty sure mine doesn't read playlists (although it does have a "random" feature).

I can't believe that a $5 mp3 player can read playlists but a $200 head unit cannot. You're right, I forgot about the wacky world of car audio.

A terrible workaround would be to create a new library, create duplicates of the files you want to burn in a separate (sandboxed) folder, import them, order them correctly, use the "fill tracknumbers from list order" tool, and rename the files using the new tracknumbers as a prefix.

I suppose you could also use your existing library, create a custom library field called "list order" or something, and fill it manually based on the order of your playlist. Then run a copy function from the rename, move, and copy files tool to a new (sandboxed) folder using your custom field as the filename prefix, and just drag and drop the files onto the DVDR.

Highlight from the bottom of the playlist to the top, then drag the playlist to the burn area...or highlight from the top of the playlist to the bottom....can't remember which, but I think it's the first....now i have never done such a large playlist....you also may have to do smaller chunks of the burn process to get the results your looking for...do a test on a smaller playlist and see what happens...there is a test mode...

I don't think this is what OP is after. "Burn order" in this case will be filename based since he or she isn't converting to redbook.

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 02:35:17 pm »

have a look at http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=73362.msg497797#msg497797.  It's old but should still be relevant

regards,

Steve

TCube

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 03:21:48 pm »

My two cents : Lock the playlist before burning/copying .. ?
That said, I never drag & drop : Make a playlist  check the display order (shuffle or what ever i wish) then save as new playlist then lock.
Rgds
TC

Ps. sometimes for my very large playlists I use Tag Scanner Just to number x/nnn, real renaming songs in tags (not MC virtual naming),Cd cover included per track, etc.

martyk

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 10:32:41 am »

Thanks for the replies.  I had pretty much tried all of these things before and nothing works.  You can drag and drop
in to the burn list and reorder if necessary, but when it actually burns the CD it rearranges the order.  I have tried adding a digit in front of the name of the  song thinking that it would read that first.  I suspect that the issue is the track number
from the original album it is being copied from.   I wonder if changing that number in the playlist that is stored so that the track number is the same number as the order in which I would like to burn, would mess up the actual location that the  song appears?

The playlist is locked. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up