INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Doing a reinstall - after uninstall there are a lot of JRiver files remaining  (Read 4268 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe

I have been having a lot of hesitation, freezing, and unresponsive messages from my system, so I am going to uninstall, then reinstall, JRiver MC20.

I already did the uninstall but left library files alone, however I noticed there are still a lot of JRiver files/folder remaining.

I back my Library up to a subfolder of My_Documents, however all of these remaining files are under User\AppData\Roaming\JRiver... There are also a lot of files under Program Files\JRiver.

Should I delete all of the left behind JRiver stuff under ...AppData\Roaming\JRiver , to be sure I'm starting with a "clean" MC20 install? If there is a bad JRiver file causing my problems I would not want to leave it on the computer.

Also, if I did a full uninstall (not saving Library) would all of the JRiver files be removed, or is it normal to leave files behind on an uninstall.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"

My experience with MC and most other applications is; they all leave files behind and also traces in the Registry.

If these are not removed you can never have a clean unistall or a clean reinstall....think about the MC 30 day trial....how do you think they know after the 30 days are up and you uninstall MC and then reinstall MC it still knows your 30 days are up!
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Vocalpoint

I already did the uninstall but left library files alone, however I noticed there are still a lot of JRiver files/folder remaining.

I am bothered by this too.

With MC 18, 19 etc I see registry references and actual files on disc after what is supposed to be an "uninstall".

Uninstall - should mean uninstall. As in no traces.

VP

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

Is that true if you check both of the option boxes at the bottom of the uninstaller?  I haven't uninstalled in a while, but my recollection was that if you checked both of the boxes (to eliminate both the registry entries and the library), pretty much everything would be gone.

CountryBumkin

I'm not talking about the registry files (I expect a trace of JRiver left behind there so people can't keep reusing a trial version by just uninstalling it after their time runs out).
I had a lot of files and folders left in the locations mentioned above. My use of JRiver started at MC17 so maybe some of this stuff is left over from those days.

My concern is only that, if my system's sluggishness is because a single JRiver file didn't install properly, how can I be sure I am correcting the problem by uninstalling and then reinstalling JRiver if there are files remaining after the uninstall (maybe one of these files is the "problem file").

Since I chose to keep my Library and Settings - it's hard to know if these remaining files/folders are because of that choice.

It would be nice to know what is expected to remain after an uninstall (which "keep Library/Settings", and "don't keep anything") just to be sure the uninstall is working properly.

Vocalpoint

Is that true if you check both of the option boxes at the bottom of the uninstaller?  I haven't uninstalled in a while, but my recollection was that if you checked both of the boxes (to eliminate both the registry entries and the library), pretty much everything would be gone.

I did some cleanup yesterday on the HTPC - removing v19 after migrating everything to v20. Even after checking both boxes - I still found registry items and folders/files in several v19 areas on the hard drive. However I was very annoyed to find the entire v18 directory still intact after uninstalling that (I thought) back in 2013!

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up