INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Songs from same album showing up as multiple albums  (Read 2632 times)

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
Songs from same album showing up as multiple albums
« on: January 30, 2015, 12:10:51 pm »

Hi there,

I have recently decided to rebuild my audio library and am slowly adding new albums so that I can clean up all my tags.

I have imported a soundtrack but when I view through albums, each song shows up as a different album.  Under Artist and Album, the tags are identical (the name of the show both for album and Artist).  Genre is also set the same.  Yet I still see it as 4 album under Album View.

Playing with it further, I see that Artist versus Album Artist is the culprit.  Once I made them all the same, they merged....

So this brings up the question - what is the difference between Artist and Album Artist and should the views not be based on Artist?

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Songs from same album showing up as multiple albums
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 01:24:06 pm »

I'm far from an expert on this, but I here's the way I use it.

Like you, I have albums that have multiple artists on them. Sometimes, its all over the place, sometimes it is primarily a single artist but with one or two tracks by the artist with someone else.

I like to keep the individual song artist info, but I want my music organized by albums. In this case the "Album Artist" tag does the trick. My view is organized by Album Artist.

So, I have an Elliott Smith album. For almost every song, Elliott Smith is the artist. But there are a couple where the artist is Heatmiser (a side project). With the Album Artist as Elliott Smith, it all stays together. But I still know that one song was done my Heatmiser.

Similarly, if I owned the Woodstock album, I would make the Album Artist "WoodStock", just so it was all organized together. (Others may have a different opinion on this).

Hope this answers your question.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 02:10:26 pm »

Just my two cents ... most people want tracks grouped by Album .. as such [Album Artist] would be the key field to sort and group albums by. So as the OP found out this field must be populated with the same input for all tracks other wise, at least with standard out of the box views, the albums are split. Another thing to bare in mind are multiple cd albums. As the disk number is (or should be) retained retained in the tag and in the library for sorting purposes, there is (for most people) no reason to have three distint albums for Woodstock as an example. I often see people posting screen shots of this. The simple way like album artist is to select all tracks and use one title for all three cds removing disk1 etc.

But once you get the hang of what the JRiver database can do, what I think is important is to be consistent. This is more logical, easier to build and change views around, and easy to totally change.  Using the name of the album like ssands suggested I would not recommend, for a couple of reasons ... one is consistency.

Basically, "Various Artists" is often used or JRiver defaults to "Multiple Artist" in the [Album Artist] field (if you are using the Artist (auto) field which fills it in automatically) for all multiple artist albums would then have the same album artist tag. Or you could use zzzVarious whatever,  so all of your various artist albums would fall to the bottom. Whether or not you prefer to make or use views with artist or album artist would give slightly different results.

I personally only use two tags for multiple artist albums "Various Artists" and "Various Composers" for classical, although I know some people use Soundtrack as album artist; doubling up meta data like the album name as the album artist name can get a bit sticky later as the collection gets larger, imo.

It is also doable to have multiple artists per track using a semi colon as a separator, as well as multiple album artists.

As for the Elliot Smith example if Heatmiser and Elliot Smith were artist on every track ing the album, the album would automatically be grouped together. However if Heatmiser is indicated on only 2 out of twelve tracks it will break the album grouping as the OP noticed. So either you remove Heatmiser or it has to be added as an artist on all tracks.

What I do as a work around is to put "Heatmiser" as a soloist for the tracks in question. That way using a search you can always find where they are playing. This is really important in jazz where the sidemen are often just as important as the leading artist.

PS- @ssands   I thought I had all the elliot smith albums and all the heatmiser albums; what album indicates both artists seen as how Heatmiser really precedes his solo work? Or is this a compilation/best of? just curious thx

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 03:31:54 pm »

PS- @ssands   I thought I had all the elliot smith albums and all the heatmiser albums; what album indicates both artists seen as how Heatmiser really precedes his solo work? Or is this a compilation/best of? just curious thx

This is the album I have; it includes a couple of Heatmiser tracks (and a murder of crows track or two also):
http://rateyourmusic.com/release/unauth/elliott_smith/grand_mal__studio_rarities__expanded_/

...which I now see is a bootleg!

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 03:18:54 am »

This is the album I have; it includes a couple of Heatmiser tracks (and a murder of crows track or two also):
http://rateyourmusic.com/release/unauth/elliott_smith/grand_mal__studio_rarities__expanded_/

...which I now see is a bootleg!

would like to hear those unreleased tracks! hey thanks, sssands :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up